Moleskine Lined Reporters Notebook  » Other  »
  • I can’t imagine purchasing anything else

• by Chris

Moleskine started selling their products in some of Manila’s high-end bookstores such as Fully Booked some years back. I was in need of a nice compact notebook to help me keep organized, so I picked up one of their little Reporter’s Notebooks, and I’ve been using it ever since.

This is a fairly small and light little rectangular notebook that fits nicely in a bag or even in a jacket or pants pocket. It’s hinged on the top instead of on the side like regular notebooks. The outside’s made of tough black leather that doesn’t scuff or stain easily. To keep the notebook from flying open when it shouldn’t, there’s a garterized strap on the

lower half that you can use to hold it shut when you’re not using it. Inside the Reporter’s Notebook are about a hundred fifty pages of acid-free paper, some of which can easily be torn out if you need to pass a note to someone or something, and a small pocket in the rear where you can place business cards or whatever else. (Put in too many and the notebook bulges when you close it, which may crack the leather, so be warned.) I got the version with lined pages to facilitate writing – there are versions with blank pages, I suppose for people who want the freedom to sketch if they feel the ...

• need to, but I’m not really into drawing stuff. Writing’s more my thing.

This little notebook is a bit on the pricey side for a small pocketable notebook, but after a couple of days an owner can really appreciate having divvied up the extra cash. The paper is excellent, refusing to blot even with one of my notorious blot-prone signpens; the notebook’s construction is topnotch, the binding hasn’t cracked and doesn’t appear as if it might do so even now. It’s gotten slightly scuffed over the years thanks to normal usage and a couple of falls, but they’ve only made it look, well, “dignified” and well-worn.

Given the tools we have today – smartphones and electronic

organizers and so on and so forth – and their advantages over paper-based media and storage, owning a small notebook like this is making less and less sense to many people. That said though the world is becoming more and more impersonal practically by the minute, and so little things that have a personal touch are becoming more and more important – including jotting down notes the traditional way. If that appeals to you, too, then maybe you should pick up a sturdy little notebook like one of these. Mine is nearly full now, so I’m going to need to buy myself a new one in the next couple months. I can’t imagine purchasing anything else.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in February, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 12102974960428/k2311a021/2.1.10