Tall Tale: The Unbelievable Adventures of Pecos Bill soundtrack CD  » Music  »
  • I love the opening theme which conveys so much of the magic of the picture
  • I'm still emotional about what I know is happening

• by Orrymain

The Tall Tale: The Unbelievable Adventures of Pecos Bill soundtrack CD is one of my favorites. This Disney movie starred Patrick Swayze as the legendary Pecos Bill, and it’s full of magic and adventure. The music expresses the wonder of heroes and the growing up of a young boy.

Randy Edelman composed and conducted the soundtrack, and he did it with a wondrous aesthetic. The movie takes place mostly in the outdoors, in the mountains, under the light of the moon and the warmth of the sun. It’s about nature and

nurturing it. The lightness of much of the music helps us to envision those surroundings and what is happening in the story.

Of course, it’s not all light. There’s some evil, aptly expressed with downbeats and there’s playfulness that is whimsically noted by the instruments.

I love the opening theme which conveys so much of the magic of the picture; the John Henry theme is powerful and gets my blood flowing. This is used in a key scene where John Henry is in a contest and when I listen to this, I feel ...

• that urge to cheer him on. It’s the thrill of victory.

Parting is so emotional towards the end. It makes me sad and then the closing theme is heart pounding. I’m still emotional about what I know is happening. It’s the transformation when the young boy becomes a young man, and his hero rides the cyclone one more time, leaving being his prized possession.

Was it real? Was Pecos Bill really there by his side? You betcha! And this musical score takes us on that unbelievable trek that reminds

us what it means to believe. Edelman’s music is superb. I love to listen to this CD. There’s not one off note or downside. The magic of the film exists in the beauty of the notes.

One more mention, the liner jacket isn’t much for information, but the inside opens up to a picture on the right of Pecos Bill riding the cyclone and on the left is the Code of the West printed. It would make a great display for those who really love the movie as I do.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 143101973050131/k2311a0131/1.31.10