Road to Singapore movie
  • It's just that I don't think of Crosby as being young like that

• by Orrymain

The funny to me as I begin to write this review is that was just a few days ago that I was thinking how long it had been since I’d seen any of the Road pictures. Lo and behold, TCM decides to air five of the seven Road movies made tonight. I’m hoping to catch them all to review, and

for the laughs.

The Road pictures are a set of comedies that starred Bob Hope, Bing Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour. These were formula plots. It was two guys, usually up to some scam or gimmick, traveling to some exotic land and getting into all kinds of mischief and adventures. Along the way, they’d meet the glamour gal, and both fellas would fall for her, hook, line, and sinker. Almost always, Crosby would win the lady fair.

What makes Road to Singapore so much fun is that Hope and Crosby ad-libbed their way through most of the film. In fact, it was their good-natured friendship and goofing around on the movie lot that got them these roles in the first place.

Hope ...

• Road to Singapore movie
      is hysterical. While he is known more as a comic, he could sing and dance. What’s more, he’s a darn good actor. He’s also very sympathetic. When he loses the girl to his best friend, you just want to give him a big ole bear hug.

Crosby is humorous and delightful. What struck me funny is seeing Charles

Coburn play his father. It’s just that I don’t think of Crosby as being young like that. It’s psychological, I’m sure.

>From 1940, it may be black and white, it may be a bit campy, and it might be formulamatic, but Road to Singapore is fun. It’s well acted, it’s family laughs, and it’s song and dance merriment. I love it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113101973000131/k2311a0131/1.31.10