The Weimeraner,Dog Breed  » Pets  »

• by ketch

Weimeraners are a great choice of dog for the family that wants their dog to be a member of the family, not just a pet. They were originally bred as hunting dogs in Germany, but are gaining popularity as household pets.

Their temperment

is similar to the Labrador Retriever.

Weimeraners are a large breed, between typically 70-85 pounds.

They have a short, grey or silver coat.

Their nose is long and their ears are floppy.

They are born with bright blue eyes that typically fade to ...

• yellow or gold as they mature.

Their tails are long and narrow, but are typically cropped.

As a puppy, the Weim is very active.

They need a lot of exercise and attention.

They have a lot of energy and will take it out

on you and your house if they do not have enough time to run and play.

The first 18 months with a Weim can wear you out! But it is well worth it when you see the loving, more calm dog that they turn into.

Jeremy says :

I just bought a Weimaraner 2 days ago at 10 weeks old and I know they do not do very well if they are kenneled for long periods of time, but my family is not home at all during the day and I can`t take it to work with me. I live on a farm house and would like to get to the point where I can let it roam at will without it running away or chasing the cattle so they get out. I would appreciate any advice you can give me to what I should do with him during the day when no one is around?

John says :

Jeremy, I would personally suggest getting a wireless pet fence. I’ve used these on and off and they tend to work well. You don’t have to install a fence and it allows him to roam around freely.

Johan says :

Hi we have a beautiful weimeraner puppy and would like to know why she urinates so progressively. when we just speak loud to each other and she is nearby she just whees. What can I do to prevent this in happening even when she comes into the house and we teel her to go out she wees.

Galega says :

Just give her some time. She is new and the world around us might be scaring her. Avoid talking loud before her until she gets accustomed with all of you and your voices.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2916109731131/k2311a1016/10.16.05