Winning of the West movie
  • What I love about these old movies is that they are short things
  • To my amazement, I enjoyed the simple, old school western that Winning of the West is
  • That I'm not sure, but all these decades later, it's definitely the kind of story where you can laugh about what's coming
  • So, surprise of surprises, I like this movie

• by Orrymain

I really don’t believe I’ve seen many Gene Autry movies, but the other day I was bored and there was nothing, and I mean nothing, on TV so I tuned in to a 1953 flick called Winning of the West. What I love about these old movies is that they are short things. This one was a solid hour, but that’s it.

To my amazement, I enjoyed the simple, old school western that Winning of the West is. Autry starred in his movies using his own name, which

I still don’t quite understand, but once he hit the big time it was Gene Autry starring as Gene Autry and his horse Champion was always his horse, Champ. Technically, the horse’s proper credit was Champion - World’s Wonder Horse. Times were different in 1953.

What surprised me about this movie is that in the beginning, Autry (the character) was brand new to the Texas Rangers and when the first shoot out happened, he didn’t do all he could. He essentially got fired for that, but then ...

• we discovered the reason for it. The villain was Jack Austin (played by Richard Crane), Autry’s brother. So, this gives us the good brother/bad brother scenario which absolutely has the predictable progression of events. It’s now considered a formula plot. Was it predictable in ‘53? That I’m not sure, but all these decades later, it’s definitely the kind of story where you can laugh about what’s coming. Even so, I enjoyed watching it play out.

The other thing about Autry (the actor) is that he

was one of the Singing Cowboys, which means that throughout their movies, there was plenty of singing with musical accompaniment that appeared out of nowhere. There’s a song in this movie that he sings with Smiley Burnette that I loved. It’s a cute, upbeat little thing called “Fetch Me Down My Trusty ‘45. I could sing that a lot.

So, surprise of surprises, I like this movie. It was a good story, the fight scenes were adequate, the music was smile worthy, and it was just a good time.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 113101972970131/k2311a0131/1.31.10