SCORE
  • If you have a business, or are planning to start one, the best resource you could possibly have is SCORE
  • The man I talked to was a retired CEO of a Texas manufacturing company, and I thought he wouldn't have any understanding of running a freelance writing business
  • I had only used my own experience as a vantage point from which to ask questions--I didn't really expect to benefit from that aspect of our interview, but I certainly did

• by Susan Zannos
      If you have a business, or are planning to start one, the best resource you could possibly have is SCORE. This government sponsored organization is composed of mostly retired successful business executives who can advise and help you with all aspects of your business.

I encountered SCORE when I was doing research for a book I was writing about entrepreneurs.

I made an appointment at the local SCORE office, met

one of their counselors, and started asking questions.

The man I talked to was a retired CEO of a Texas manufacturing company, and I thought he wouldn’t have any understanding of running a freelance writing business.

Boy, was I wrong.

He wasn’t a writer.

But he was definitely a businessman! He pointed out aspects of running a writing business that I had never had any inkling of.

...

• I had only used my own experience as a vantage point from which to ask questions–I didn’t really expect to benefit from that aspect of our interview, but I certainly did.

The motto of this organization is “Counselors to America’s Small Business,” and their expertise is FREE! Completely free and the best bargain you will ever encounter.

Our government figures, and rightly so, that successful small businesses are the backbone

of our economy, so they finance this incredible service.

Anything from writing a business plan, to getting start-up financing, to hiring employees…anything related to business is their business.

You can ask SCORE questions on the Internet (comes up as the first entry when you Google SCORE), get their free newsletter, make an appointment for in depth counseling, anything related to your business.

Don’t try to re-invent the wheel–use this incredible resource.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 41111097271131/k2311a1011/10.11.06