Bovril  » Food  »
  • In any case, the TV was all black and white at the time, though no one noticed this apparent lack until colour TV exploded on the scene in the late 1960s
  • As far as I know, Bovril is a foodstuff that dates back to the Victorian era and it is based on meat
  • As I mentioned, it has the benefit of making the drinker of its beef tea feel replenished, which means it may well have applications in the health products market, but consumers need to be comfortable with the knowledge that this is very definitely a meat product

• by Anglecynn

I was unusual as a child in that there were several things that were regarded as being outside my immediate family that I had never experienced. Early on, I was one of the few whose house did not have a television set. If I wanted to see TV, I had to go to a neighbour’s house. In any case, the TV was all black and white at the time, though no one noticed this apparent lack until colour TV exploded on the scene in the late 1960s. Another item I had probably never heard of in my early years was a substance call ‘Bovril’. This is, at first glance, not the most appealing-looking thing, being a very dark brown, semi-liquid food in a black jar.

As far as I know, Bovril is a foodstuff that dates back to the Victorian era and it is based on meat. Its name comes from

the Latin word, ‘bos - bovis’ meaning a cow, or head of cattle and its original advertising campaign relied upon a sad-looking bull looking at a jar of Bovril and saying, “Alas! My poor brother!” which wouldn’t exactly sell it to the public nowadays!

My introduction to Bovril came when boarding at school and I had succumbed to tonsilitis. Matron decided that I needed some form of food intake, even in liquid form and I was given what is commonly called ‘beef tea’. I was a bit mystified by the strange, brown liquid I was given to drink which was Bovril with added hot water, but I actually found it very palatable. The taste is that of a rich, concentrated beef gravy which is smooth and quite salty. It would probably form part of a diet for slimmers, I shouldn’t wonder, since it can have relatively few calories, yet it can give ...

• the impression, purely based on taste of your having consumed something far more subtantial than, in actual fact, you have.

Since the time that I had tonsilitis, I have grown to like this strange product which is probably very British and which may not appeal elsewhere in the world. It is a savoury-flavoured substance. It is ‘gloopy’ for want of a better word and probably best corresponds, as indicated, to concentrated gravy. If you have roasted a piece of beef, the juices that are left over can be used to make a rich gravy and that is very much what Bovril is.

However, do not think that Bovril is merely some sort of drink that can be made by the addition of hot water for sick boys. It makes a fine addition to the very beef juices I mentioned to make an even richer gravy than you would get from one

beef roast, much as chefs use bouillon to add to sauces to enhance particular flavours. Moreover, it adds flavour to soups and it makes an ideal spread for toast and sandwiches. It is a carnivore’s equivalent to the British ‘Marmite’ vegetable spread and the Australian ‘Vegemite’, which is much the same as Marmite, but with a slightly different taste.

If you need a fairly versatile food which can stand in for both drinks and foods as a fortifying drink for sore throats on the one hand, or as a supplement for gravies and soups as well as a spread for sandwiches and toasts, Bovril meets the requirements. As I mentioned, it has the benefit of making the drinker of its beef tea feel replenished, which means it may well have applications in the health products market, but consumers need to be comfortable with the knowledge that this is very definitely a meat product!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272901972590831/k2311a0129/1.29.10