Flashpoint 60 Wheelset  » Sport  »
  • I will never lay claim to being a super star cyclist, but I have managed to get some pretty good results in some time trials and I consider myself to be gaining a good bit of knowledge and experience about equipment as I work to do the best I can with somewhat limited resources
  • But I did get the chance to demo a pair of Flashpoint 60's and wanted to report on the experience
  • I have to admit one of the first things I noticed was the awesome sound the rear hub makes when you aren't pedaling
  • They felt great and I never felt too much of a problem from crosswinds either, so in terms of how they felt handling wise I was happy if not pretty impressed
  • So perhaps it will be a long time, but I would seriously consider a pair of flashpoints when the time comes because they seem to have significant benefits and there is a huge price break from the Zipp wheels and, at least for most regular folks, the advantage cannot be that much greater for the much larger expense

• by JB Haglund

I will never lay claim to being a super star cyclist, but I have managed to get some pretty good results in some time trials and I consider myself to be gaining a good bit of knowledge and experience about equipment as I work to do the best I can with somewhat limited resources. Someday I will have a super fast wheelset of my own, but it will probably be when I am far older and they are no longer of any real benefit to me as I crush the 65+ group on a weekly hard ride averaging 10mph.

But I did get the chance to demo a pair of Flashpoint 60’s and wanted to report on the experience.

I’ve always been jealous of the guys at races or on rides with their fancy

deep-dish wheels and I’ve wished that I could also afford such toys, but I wondered how much benefit they really gave to the average rider. From trusted sources, it would appear that the real benefit is to folks that happen to be going very fast as the aerodynamic benefits obviously increase rather quickly the closer you get to 30mph. I knew this, so I was curious how the wheels would treat me on a pretty standard 75 mile ride with some hard sections thrown in.

I have to admit one of the first things I noticed was the awesome sound the rear hub makes when you aren’t pedaling. Someone once described the Zipp hubs as making a sound like a cloud of angry bees and maybe that gets it, but it ...

• does make a great sound.

The wheels also felt nice and solid, but again I can’t claim to really understand or know enough to judge them too much on compliance or stiffness. They felt great and I never felt too much of a problem from crosswinds either, so in terms of how they felt handling wise I was happy if not pretty impressed.

What was really impressive was the very real benefit in terms of speed. Particularly as I was going faster, I felt that I would be getting close to 1mph extra with the same effort at speeds around 20-25mph. They felt even better as the pace got higher.

Towards the end of the ride I was in a pace line pulling a group of about 15-20 guys and without any headwind

and on a nice long flat section I was pulling pretty steadily at right around 27mph and I honestly felt like I was getting a pretty huge boost from the wheels. As I wrote earlier, I can’t be sure exactly how much it was, but at the end of a long day it really didn’t feel too hard to be cruising along like that and we shelled a bunch of guys on that long section.

So perhaps it will be a long time, but I would seriously consider a pair of flashpoints when the time comes because they seem to have significant benefits and there is a huge price break from the Zipp wheels and, at least for most regular folks, the advantage cannot be that much greater for the much larger expense.

Sorry, there are no related reviews at moment
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 352901971040631/k2311a0129/1.29.10