Sigma AF-MF Zoom Lens APO70-300mm F4-F5.6 DG Macro  » Cameras  »
  • Having the camera mounted to a tripod would be a better option but bringing one around during vacations is not the most convenient
  • In my opinion, it reacts a bit slowly and even at other times, too quickly
  • I am a contented user of these lenses and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone seeking to equip their Nikon cameras with high performing lenses which costs reasonably and would not make a huge hole in your pocket

• by bethbarl

To complement the Nikon Digital camera, my husband bought this Sigma Zoom lens. It works pretty much like the lenses which are already in the camera. I was not too adept in installing it on the Nikon (he did) but I remarked that first of all, it is mighty heavy. More than 500 grams may not be a lot but when there are other gadgets as well, then it becomes really heavy. The camera itself is about the same weight and once the Sigma Lens are attached then it is not portable anymore. The camera alone is difficult to bring and when on vacation, my husband brings

other gadgets as well such as the video camcorder. His rucksack weighs a ton and I could not understand how he managed to withstand carrying all that weight on his back. He carries while I help shoot when we are travelling.

Having the camera mounted to a tripod would be a better option but bringing one around during vacations is not the most convenient. Besides, getting good shots depends a lot on how quickly I can get the camera out of the bag, point and shoot with it. I am pretty sure a lot of my subjects would have disappeared already if I still had to mount this device on a tripod.

Having the Sigma Lens however on the camera improves the photo shooting a lot. These lenses are meant to magnify the objects which one is trying to capture in the camera. I would focus on an object and if it is far, the object is magnified to 2 times the size through these zoom lenses.

The depth of field is also good as when I focus it on a figure, for instance, depending on the aperture (these lenses have a range from 22-32 cm. aperture), I can get the object within a range of 2.2 -5 meters for the wide angle setting.

My other ...

• Sigma AF-MF Zoom Lens APO70-300mm F4-F5.6 DG Macro
      complaint apart from the weight is that sometimes, it takes some seconds before I could actually get the camera to focus and although using the Sigma lens is easy once it is attached to the camera, I have to wait a bit before I get a good image. In my opinion, it reacts a bit slowly and even at other times, too quickly. I would focus and press to take the picture and with one click, I would get double or triple impressions. This is usually the case when I put it in the autofocus mode.

Otherwise, I find it easier to set the exposure mode to manual using

the focus ring. This is a better way as I get good pictures by looking at the viewfinder and adjusting the lenses accordingly.

For the price paid for these lenses which was about € 300, this was not a bargain. Except for its weight and some occasional quirks, the lenses are easy to use. The quality of pictures taken are high with sharp, clear images which are not blurred. I am a contented user of these lenses and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone seeking to equip their Nikon cameras with high performing lenses which costs reasonably and would not make a huge hole in your pocket.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 432901970870531/k2311a0129/1.29.10