Guangzhou Riverside Youth Hostel  » Hotels  »
No. 15, Changdi Street, Luju Road, Fangcun Liwan District, 510370, Guangzhou
  • Definitely a nice place, although when my other roommates came back, it became a bit crowded, especially during the nighttime getting ready for bed routines
  • You are close to many family style restaurants and bars, in case you want to experience the Guangzhou nightlife
  • The Riverside youth hostel is located a bit out of town, but it’s so close to the metro, I didn’t find it a problem
  • If I found myself there again I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there, and that’s a good thing because it is the only hostel in Guangzhou

• by AnnaHeather

I stayed at the Riverside Youth Hostel during my short stay in Guangzhou and it was a nice, sociably place to begin my travels in China. It is part of the Youth Hostel Association (YHA) along with almost all of the hostels in Southern China. So before you go it’s worth it to sign up to be a member, you’ll get a discount at all YHAs. Usually it’s only 5 RMB, but at the Riverside it was 10. I arrived at the Baiyun Guangzhou International Airport on an Air Asia flight from Malaysia, after collecting my bags, and the most rigorous H1N1 screening I have been through, head to the curb side in front of the airport where they have coaches that go to the down town area. I was not sure about which bus to take, but each bus has a friendly bus attendant outside, I showed her where I was going and she pointed me in the right direction.

The ride was 45 minutes and 16 RMB, about $3. 50 USD. The exchange rate at the time was 1 USD to 6 Chinese RMB. Before you go make sure you print off your confirmation page from the YHA website, alternatively Hostelbookers. com or Hostelworld.

com have an extensive selection of hostels to choose from as well. Along with your reservation information it also contains detailed directions to the hostel whether your coming from the airport, bus station or harbor. Once in China you will find that having things written

down in English and Chinese is extremely helpful as many people in China have limited English, and unless you are a fluent Mandarin speaker this will save so much time and hassle. The Guangzhou metro is fairly easily to navigate, you will need to switch lines from line 1 to line 2 and get off at the Fangcun stop. Take exit B1 and make your way to Changdi St, walk about 10 minutes and you will reach the hostel which will be on your right.

Check-in went smoothly, the staff could be friendlier, they don’t fill you in on the extras the hostel has, such as a free key and lock for the locker in your room, so make sure you take note of the many signs posted around the hostel about what it has to offer. My room was a four bed dorm. I was paying 60 RMB ( 20 USD) and by the rest of Southern China standard that was expensive. 20-25 RMB was the average for a night at a hostel, but if you go to the bigger cities, Shanghai and Beijing, 60RMB will be average. Anyways back to the room, it had 2 sturdy wooden bunk beds with personal reading lights, large lockers that you can fit your whole rucksack in if you wanted, clean white linen and the fluffy white comforter that all hostels in China seem to have, and an ensuite bath.

Definitely a nice place, although when my other roommates ...

• came back, it became a bit crowded, especially during the nighttime getting ready for bed routines. I was sharing the room with 3 teachers, so the next morning I was by myself and able to take my time getting ready for the first day of Guangzhou sightseeing. But once in nestled in my top bunk, I quickly fell asleep. Most Hostels in China have AC in their dorms, so bundle up accordingly before bed. Also the linen looks clean but check for bed bugs which live in the mattress, there have many occasions of travelers’ in China waking up the next morning covered in red bites.

No worries if you have them, the bites will go away in a few days. Just check the covers for tiny black jumping dots, you can always request another room. The hostel itself has a large WiFi connected lounge with comfy sofas, they also offer a limited menu of traditional Cantonese dishes, a little pricey but nice to start off the day in a new place on a full stomach, try the pork dumplings for 6 RMB. Along with the WiFi they have 2 computers, you need to leave a 10 RMB deposit at the front desk, the rate is 4 RMB an hour. With so many people now carrying those little travel notebooks there was hardly any wait for the internet.

Other amenities included a self service kitchen, laundry service and TV. The hostel boasts that it can arrange your

onward train or bus tickets for you, but when I inquired they simply pointed me to a binder of how I can get to the different stations for where I want to go. Oh well, very information but I was expecting to pay an extra charge and they will actually go out and get the ticket for you, as many other hostels do. This eliminates so much hassle it’s unbelievable. I’ve done both, finding the train station, debating on which overly crowded line to get in, trying to communicate where you want to go with the attendant, I’ve always gotten my ticket, but I will gladly pay 5 RMB or more to have someone do it for me J The hostel is located in a very pleasant area of town, right across from the Pearl River and Shamian island, you can take a ferry to the island where there are some well preserved examples of post colonial buildings.

You can walk along the boardwalk at night, it’s a great view of city across the river and a good people watching spot. You are close to many family style restaurants and bars, in case you want to experience the Guangzhou nightlife. The Riverside youth hostel is located a bit out of town, but it’s so close to the metro, I didn’t find it a problem. If I found myself there again I wouldn’t hesitate to stay there, and that’s a good thing because it is the only hostel in Guangzhou.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 22801970281131/k2311a0128/1.28.10