Monster Episode 1  » TV  »
  • I enjoy the voice acting Liam O’Brien is terrific as Dr. Kenzo Tenma, I’ve never heard the Japanese Seyuu, so I can’t compare performances, but he does an excellent job and he sounds very good as Dr. Tenma
  • The musical score sounds nice, but I have heard from fans that they changed the original music from the Japanese version and that they moved some of them around, but overall, I found it to sound quite nice and very eerie
  • Monster is a superb anime, it’s well written, well acted and very interesting
  • It has adult situations, blood and violence and very adult themes, so I don’t recommend this for anyone under 17

• by ReViewMeMedia

Monster Episode 1 begins in 1986 in Düsseldorf, Germany where Dr. Kenzo Tenma successfully operates on a famous opera singer at Eisler Memorial Hospital. He later finds out that a construction worker he was supposed to operate on died because he wasn’t operated on first and later he has to make a decision, do what the directors asks him to do or operate on two twins who arrive after their parents are murdered.

Monster is based off Naoki Urasawa’s manga titled Monster and I have to say

that I wasn’t sure of what I was getting into but the first episode is really, really good. It establishes the main characters and gets the plot going.

I enjoy the voice acting Liam O’Brien is terrific as Dr. Kenzo Tenma, I’ve never heard the Japanese Seyuu, so I can’t compare performances, but he does an excellent job and he sounds very good as Dr. Tenma. Tara Platt is also very good as Eva Heinemann, Dr. Tenma’s fiancée.

The musical score sounds nice, but ...

• I have heard from fans that they changed the original music from the Japanese version and that they moved some of them around, but overall, I found it to sound quite nice and very eerie. The opening theme “Grain” by Kuniaki Haishima is creepy and eerie and gets you in the mood to watch the anime.

Monster is a superb anime, it’s well written, well acted and very interesting. It’s a bit slower than a lot of other animes when it comes to the first episode, but

it’s an excellent show. A warning to parents however, this anime is not for your children. It has adult situations, blood and violence and very adult themes, so I don’t recommend this for anyone under 17. This is something for adults to enjoy and not children.

Monster is currently airing on the SyFy Channel and the first box set of the first 15 episodes is available on DVD from Viz Media at your local Wal-Mart or Best Buy, you can also buy it from Amazon.com and RightStuf.com.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102701969630631/k2311a0127/1.27.10