L’Oreal Preference Hair Color  » Cosmetics  »
  • That is one thing I love about this hair color - most every time, I get the exact shade that is pictured on the box
  • Now that I've been doing this for so many years, I don't need to read them each time, but for someone who is just starting to color their hair, I would recommend that they read all the instructions, and do the allergy test ahead of time just to be sure that you won't get an allergic reaction to the product
  • The only thing I can say that I don't like about this product is the smell
  • But I have noticed that most any hair color will stink up your house

• by mariekay

I have been using L’Oreal Preference Hair Color for over 15 years. I have tried other brands here and there, but I always return to L’Oreal Preference because it does just what I want it to. My natural hair color is brown, and I dye it blonde. My hair needs to be nurtured also, because it is naturally dry and fizzy, and without proper care it can become brittle and prone to breakage. L’Oreal Preference has not caused damage to my hair like some other brands, yet it is powerful enough to lighten my brown hair to the shade I want.

That is one thing I love about this hair color - most every time, I get the exact shade that is pictured on the box. Depending on what season it is, sometimes

I go a little lighter or a little darker, and I always use the color guide on the box because it is accurate. It can be difficult to achieve a nice blonde color when your natural color is dark brown. Quite often the hair will turn orange first. My hair has never turned orange or yellow with L’Oreal Preference. One thing that helps is to choose a shade that is called “natural” or “ash” instead of one that has the word “golden” in it. I also use Clairol’s Shimmerlights Purple Shampoo to counteract any brassiness that may occur when I color my hair.

L’Oreal Preference Hair Color is $10 - $12 a box, depending where I buy it or if it’s on sale. The box contains an applicator bottle, which is filled with cream, and another bottle which contains a liquid. You will also find rubber gloves, instructions, and a generous supply of deep conditioner included.

The directions are quite detailed. Now that I’ve been doing this for so many years, I don’t need to read them each time, but for someone who is just starting to color their hair, I would recommend that they read all the instructions, and do the allergy test ahead of time just to be sure that you won’t get an allergic reaction to the product. They also tell you to do a color test to be sure you like how the color looks on your hair. This is a good idea rather than covering your hair with the color and then hating it.

The directions say to pour ...

• L'Oreal Preference Hair Color
      the liquid into the cream, shake well, and apply to your hair. Now that my hair is already blonde, I usually only need to apply the product to my roots. I leave it on for 25-30 minutes, then rinse out. Make sure to rinse thoroughly, or your hair will be gummy for days afterwards. Then apply the conditioner. I love the conditioner that comes with this hair color because it leaves my hair silky and shiny. If you use just a little bit, you can deep-condition with it once a week for up to 6 weeks after you color. For me, it never lasts that long because my hair is long and I use quite a bit.

The color that this product gives my hair lasts and lasts. It doesn’t

wash out, even with harsh shampoos. From time to time, I buy two boxes at once and apply them to my full head of hair, just to refresh the color. But usually it’s just my roots that need touch-up.

The only thing I can say that I don’t like about this product is the smell. But I have noticed that most any hair color will stink up your house. The odor is a strong chemical smell, so I always open my windows when I am applying the hair color. Obviously once it rinsed out it doesn’t stink anymore.

Overall I love this product. It’s worth the price for me, and it goes on sale quite often. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a product that offers beautiful color choices, and lasts a long time.

L'Oreal Preference Hair Color

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312701969550631/k2311a0127/1.27.10