Revlon Colorsilk #81 Light Bonde Hair Color  » Cosmetics  »
2.5
  • But, last time I was shopping, I noticed the Revlon Hair Color cost less that half the price of my normal hair color, so I decided t ogive it a try
  • When I opened the box, I noticed that it looked very similar to what I was used to using
  • I was happy to see good results in a product that was also inexpensive
  • The problem was that over the next week, my color seemed to wash out very easily

• by mariekay

I recently picked up a box of Revlon Colorsilk Hair Color at Walgreens. My natural hair color is brown, but I’ve been dying it blonde for over 15 years. Normally I use Loreal Preference, and have always been happy with it. But, last time I was shopping, I noticed the Revlon Hair Color cost less that half the price of my normal hair color, so I decided t ogive it a try.

Since I have been coloring my hair so long, it is already blonde. So when I buy hair color, it’s only for my roots. I need root touch-ups about every 3-4 weeks. That can get expensive when the hair color costs almost $12 a box! I picked up the Revlon Colorstay for only $4.99.

When I opened the box, I noticed that it looked very similar to what I was used to using. The box contained an applicator bottle filled with cream, another small bottle filled with liquid, plastic gloves, directions,

and a package of conditioner. The conditioner in the Revlon package was much smaller in quantity than the Loreal brand. Loreal includes a tube of conditioner that is good for about 4 uses. The conditioner included in the Revlon Box was just a small packet, barely enough for one use.

I also noticed that the gloves that were included were really thin and flimsy compared to what I was used to. They worked, but they were low quality. The directions say to pour the liquid into the creme applicator bottle, shake well, and apply to hair. I applied the mixture to my roots only, and had just enough. If someone was going to use this product on their entire head of hair, they would probably need 2 boxes in order to get enough coverage.

One thing I hate about all hair colors I’ve tried is the smell. They all have a very strong chemical odor that will fill the entire house. I ...

• always use hair color in the bathroom with the windows open. The Revlon hair color seemed to have a slightly less potent smell. I noticed on the box it said “ammonia free” so maybe that explains the lack of strong odor. The no ammonia formula was also supposed to better for the hair because it wasn’t so harsh.

After leaving the mixture on my hair for the recommended time, I rinsed it out, and then applied the conditioner. The packet pf conditioner was hard to open, I had to get out of the shower and grab a pair of scissors in order to cut it open. The contents barely covered my hair, but it did seem to make my hair feel soft.

When all the steps were complete, I dried my hair and noticed that my roots had a nice blonde color. There was a hint of gold on them, but I seem to get that with any color I use. Normally I

use a purple shampoo like Shimmerlights to counteract the brassy tones. Other than that, my hair actually looked good. It felt silky and looked shiny. I was happy to see good results in a product that was also inexpensive.

The problem was that over the next week, my color seemed to wash out very easily. The box said that the color would last through 28 shampoos, but it didn’t for me. If I use this product in the future, I will try a less harsh shampoo to see if that helps the color stay put longer.

Overall, you get what you pay for. This product was okay, it colored my hair just like my regular brand. But in the end, it didn’t last as long. They also make a version of this product that does have ammonia in it, so maybe I will try that and see if I get better results.

This is an okay hair color if you’re looking for something cheap.

suzi says :

i read some where this needs to be applied to clean dry hair, i love u`r product, but this is the first time i`ve heard this, usually it`s applied to dry unclean hair, thanks

betty mackey says :

I live on the mid north coast of nsw australia and i would like to know where i can purchase REVLON COLORSILK 81.I hope you can help me.Thankyou

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312701969540631/k2311a0127/1.27.10