Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson  » Books  »
  • The best part about this book is that it deals with the darker side of high school cliques, depression, and self-expression, yet at the same time there's a bit of humor on almost every page, from the problematic issue of a school mascot to the pure absurdity of her teachers
  • It keeps Speak from becoming too overwhelming on the reader, and I like that
  • I couldn't relate directly to Melinda at first, and I thought that this might be another one of those purely depressing books about teen angst and overused drama

• by Akari

I don’t know why I picked up this book, but I sure am glad that I did. Maybe it?s because the copy I borrowed from my library was pretty beat-up looking, and I thought to myself, ‘this book’s seen better days. ’ I was hooked on page one.

I sacrificed some other work to read it, but it was completely worth it. Melinda Sordino became the most infamous person in her school by calling the cops at an end-of-the-summer party.

Entering into ninth grade, she is

every bit the social outcast that we all fear to be, hated by everyone, and she’s ready to crack under the pressure. Melinda falls back into herself and the solitude of her own mind, distancing herself from the world and her pain.

She cuts classes and hides in her abandoned storage closet in school, all to escape the person and the memories of IT, her worst enemy ever since the party. She can’t tell anyone about what happened, not even her parents and her ‘best ...

• friend’ who now hates her.

This is the story of a girl who learns to Speak up for herself. (Sorry, bad pun.

) The best part about this book is that it deals with the darker side of high school cliques, depression, and self-expression, yet at the same time there’s a bit of humor on almost every page, from the problematic issue of a school mascot to the pure absurdity of her teachers. It keeps Speak from becoming too overwhelming on the reader, and I like

that.

It’s not making fun of Melinda, but it keeps the tone light enough that you’re not afraid of drowning in the book. I couldn’t relate directly to Melinda at first, and I thought that this might be another one of those purely depressing books about teen angst and overused drama.

That idea didn’t last long’by the end of the book not only did I respect her, I understood her. Speak is sad, funny, depressing, and inspirational all in one.

This is one book I strongly recommend.

Lauren says :

Is this book about friendships?

John says :

It does in a way deal with friendship, but that’s not the main aspect. It mainly deals with overcoming hardships. The main character Melinda is raped which indirectly leads to her losing friends because she became more distant.

imani mustafa says :

what do the students have to do the entire year?

John says :

In their Spanish class the teacher wants them to speak only for the entire year.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1791096950131/k2311a109/10.9.06