Nivea Touch of Smoothness Body Wash
1.5
  • I bought a bottle of Nivea Touch of Smoothness Moisturizing Body wash Tea Rose Blossom Scent because it smells heavenly
  • Well, it was all of those things-- unfortunately, not necessarily in a good way
  • The first time I used it I noticed that it seemed difficult to get all of it rinsed off my skin, but I put that down to the promise of it creating lasting moisture so I assumed it was a good thing and didn't think twice
  • Both my friend who tried the product and myself are fans of fragranced products and use quite a large variety of perfumes, bath gels, lotions, etc. and neither of us has had a problem in the past with being overly sensitive to them
  • While I think Nivea is a very good company on the whole, they might have lacked a bit of needed sensitivity testing on this particular product

• by Reviewabit

I bought a bottle of Nivea Touch of Smoothness Moisturizing Body wash Tea Rose Blossom Scent because it smells heavenly. Not quite like roses, at least not to me, but very nice. The description on the back of the bottle promised a bath or shower sensation that would be pampering, intense and lasting. Well, it was all of those things– unfortunately, not necessarily in a good way.

The first time I used it I noticed that it seemed difficult to get all of it rinsed off my skin, but I put that down to the promise of it creating lasting moisture so I assumed it was a good thing and didn’t think twice. After the second time I showered with this product, I started

to itch all over. It didn’t happen immediately after the shower, but some time during the night. My legs, arms and chest itched persistently for the next eight hours. I did not suspect the Nivea at first, since I had experienced no symptoms on the first use. Three days later, I was itching to the point I felt I needed to see my doctor. He noted my skin was red from scratching but there was no sign of a rash or inflammation. Perplexed, he asked if I had been using any new products such as detergents, soaps, etc. I remembered the Nivea and he suggested I stop using it for a few days and see what happened. The next day when I took ...

• a shower, I used another body wash. I had no itching from that point on.

I assumed I was allergic to the Nivea and decided to give what was left of it to a friend. Two days later, she was calling me on the phone to ask if I had any kind of reaction to the Nivea. (I had not told her about the itching at all!) Her skin had the exact same reaction. My friend said she was very surprised, as she had never had any sort of allergic reaction to anything before. We both suspect that the formula which somehow lingers on the skin and is so very highly fragranced may actually be a direct cause of irritation for perhaps

a lot of people. Both my friend who tried the product and myself are fans of fragranced products and use quite a large variety of perfumes, bath gels, lotions, etc. and neither of us has had a problem in the past with being overly sensitive to them.

I do not know if the other fragrances in this line would have the same effect. For obvious reasons, I am not willing to try them to find out. While I think Nivea is a very good company on the whole, they might have lacked a bit of needed sensitivity testing on this particular product. I will use Nivea products again, but I will be smelling them carefully to make sure they are not of the same highly fragranced variety.

Cayls says :

I have used both Nivea Touch of Smoothness body wash and Nivea for Men Sensitive Skin. Both gave me the same problem - I would be itchy after I got out of the shower and my skin looked ashy . I stopped using it and switched over to Dial.

John says :

Hello I would first off like to let you know that I have the same problem and went to the doctor about this. The truth is some types of body washes can actually dry your skin out, even if they are the moisturizing kind. Now, knowing your skin is sensitive it is important that you get a good body wash, because you don’t want to harm yourself anymore. I recommend Baby Johnson, for it does wonders to your skin

No one says :

I itch too after using this product. I think it just dries your skin out. THe formula reminds me of the body washed in europe which lather well, and smell good but do not moisturize the skin. Its essentially fancy hand soap.

nita says :

The reason body washes like this one makes you itch is because of the high level of fragrance and alcohol that used in it. Often times individuals with skin that isn’t sensitive will have a bad reaction to it. I experience this a lot of the time with body washes that are really fruity smelling. The best way to combat this to switch to unscented body washes or hypoallergenic ones that still smell good.

• To Buy or Not to Buy
    • - Personally I do not want to itch all over. Sounds very believable. ;

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312701968440431/k2311a0127/1.27.10