Western Digital MyPassport Essential 320GB External Hard Drive  » Hardware  »
  • I’ve heard that some other hard drives take minutes before the computer recognizes it, but that won’t be a problem with Western Digital drives
  • It’s not the cheapest out there on the market, but for a minimal extra cost, you’re getting top-of-the-line quality backed by a great brand

• by poyayan

I download a lot of music, TV series episodes, and movies on my laptop. That’s why within just a couple of months, I managed to fill its hard disk drive near the maximum capacity. I had only one solution in mind: get an external hard drive. The chosen one in this case is the Western Digital MyPassport Essential 320 Gigabyte External Hard Drive.

This particular hard drive caught my attention because of its portability and design. The sleek curves help complement the boxy form. It’s quite light; it sure won’t be a burden even if you

just carry it in your pocket.

Performance-wise, Western Digital lives up to its reputation. Transfer times through standard USB ports are fast. More importantly, my laptop instantly recognizes the external drive once I connect it to the USB port. I’ve heard that some other hard drives take minutes before the computer recognizes it, but that won’t be a problem with Western Digital drives.

The MyPassport series of external hard drives have that glossy black finish on the upper surface. This may need a bit of care for some, because the surface gets scratched easily. That’s the only ...

• drawback that I can see, and it can be easily remedied by using a moderately cushioned pouch.

I’ve had the external hard drive for over half a year now, and I can say that it’s a really durable accessory. I carry it around with me a lot, because sometimes I copy media files from my friends and officemates. I usually just stuff it inside my messenger bag without taking any great care to cushion it. Good thing it’s still working fine even after all the times I’ve dropped it or had it crammed in really tight

spaces.

There was even one time I forgot that the external hard drive was still plugged to my laptop’s USB port. I lifted the laptop, and the external drive dangled dangerously before dropping a few feet to the wooden floor. I plugged it back, and I was glad to see it was working perfectly fine.

For people looking for an excellent mobile hard drive solution at the right price, the Western Digital MyPassport Essential won’t disappoint. It’s not the cheapest out there on the market, but for a minimal extra cost, you’re getting top-of-the-line quality backed by a great brand.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 332701968090331/k2311a0127/1.27.10