Doggie’s Choice Tick & Flea Bar Soap
  • So when our dogs began to itch and scratch, I decided to use medicated soap to keep the pests away
  • I bought a bar of Doggie's Choice Tick & Flea Soap because it was recommended by my sister
  • The soap, in my opinion, is not a strong enough formulation to actually kill the fleas on the spot
  • It's not the strong formulation I prefer but it's a great way to keep dogs clean and smelling good
  • If your dogs have an infestation, however, the bar soap simply will minimize -- but not stop -- the problem

• by Heloise

There’s more to taking care of dogs than just feeding and petting. You also need to do the unpleasant stuff, such as cleaning after they go, washing the food bowl and yes, ensuring that they are healthy and free from ticks and fleas. So when our dogs began to itch and scratch, I decided to use medicated soap to keep the pests away. I bought a bar of Doggie’s Choice Tick & Flea Soap because it was recommended by my sister.

The good Doggie’s Choice is a known brand

of pet care products in the Philippines, so I had no qualms about using it off the shelf. The soap is lemon-scented, so it keeps the dogs smelling fresh for several days after the bath. It’s soapy enough to produce sufficient suds. That’s usually an assurance that the dog’s coat and skin are actually being washed clean.

The bad As for its tick and flea-killing effect, here’s the thing: the pests are immobilized by the soap, which I thought was due to its formulation. I then realized that ...

• ticks and fleas can be killed by drowning them in soapy water, so the effect of the soap was to be expected. It’s also temporary. Once you’ve washed off the soap, the ticks and fleas that remain attached to the dog will continue to live.

The soap, in my opinion, is not a strong enough formulation to actually kill the fleas on the spot. It can get rid of the loose pests but those that have attached themselves to the skin of the dog have to be manually pulled

off. Furthermore, fleas and ticks will remain alive long after the dogs have been dried off.

Would I recommend it?

Depends on your needs. Doggie’s Choice Tick & Flea Bar Soap will work very well if combined with a more effective flea-killing medication. It’s an excellent soap for maintainance in between treatments. It’s not the strong formulation I prefer but it’s a great way to keep dogs clean and smelling good. If your dogs have an infestation, however, the bar soap simply will minimize — but not stop — the problem.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 292701968040331/k2311a0127/1.27.10