ING Direct Online Savings Account  » Finance  »
  • I prefer to arrange each transfer myself though, whenever I know I have some extra money on my account that I want to put aside
  • What I love about this bank is how well their service is arranged and how easy it is to use
  • When I have transferred some money, I know it will be there on time

• by Lorianna

I have been a happy customer of ING Direct for over a year now. Opening an online savings account with them, known as Orange Savings, was a quick and easy procedure. I did it all online, linked the new account to my regular checking account at the local bank, and I was set to go – ready to transfer money between the two. ING does not require any minimum balance, you can start with as little as $1.

Transfers are easy, but they take a couple of days to be processed. Similarly, if you want to withdraw money from ING back to

your bank, you need to be prepared for it to take 2-3 days as well before the money is available to you. Each transfer request is verified and confirmed by an email from ING. You can have an automated savings plan, with which you would have a specified amount of money automatically taken from your bank to ING every month or every week. I prefer to arrange each transfer myself though, whenever I know I have some extra money on my account that I want to put aside.

ING Direct currently offers 1.30% interest rate. It used to be higher, at 3% at ...

• some point, but they have lowered it, I suppose due to difficult economy. Still, 1.30% is far better than what most regular banks offer. The interest is calculated at the end of every month and added to your account. Monthly statements are available to view or print from ING’s website at any time. Each time a new statement is ready, they send you a notification email.

What I love about this bank is how well their service is arranged and how easy it is to use. The website is clear, the directions about opening and operating your account are all there. Everything is

done online, I have never had to make a phone call to their customer service. I never had to mail anything to their office, either. When I have transferred some money, I know it will be there on time. I have tried using another online savings bank, and while their terms appeared slightly better, there is no comparison when it comes to the service. There were all kinds of problems and delays with that other bank, and I ended up closing my account with them. ING is so much better. And I hope they will raise their rates at some point, too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 422601967741131/k2311a0126/1.26.10