Le Chardon, Restaurant, Clapham, London
32 Abbeville Road, Clapham, London, SW4 9NG
  • I half expected there to be restrictions around TasteLondon (discounted) bookings, but had no problem reserving a table for 7pm on a Saturday
  • It was a lovely wine though, very quaffable yet enough spice and depth to make it an interesting compliment to food
  • That experience was disappointing, but has not really put me off, as the food itself was lovely and excellent value with the TasteLondon discount

• by brightstar78

We booked this restaurant through TasteLondon. I half expected there to be restrictions around TasteLondon (discounted) bookings, but had no problem reserving a table for 7pm on a Saturday. Thats not to say the restaurant is empty, dead, unpopular. Far from it.

It was a little quiet when we arrived, there was only three or four other tables - but we were eating early. The rest of Clapham it seems eat later, and poured in after 8 to 9pm. The wine menu [or book of gibberish according to Michael McIntyre] is excellent,

plenty of choice to confuse and baffle.

We chose a Red, which had a mix of Malbec and Merlot grapes, but the name escapes me. I was confused. It was a lovely wine though, very quaffable yet enough spice and depth to make it an interesting compliment to food.

We had cheese starters - goats cheese, and baked brie. Both were lovely, and the goats cheese in particular was a generous portion and quite rich. For main we opted for Ostrich (rare) and calves liver (medium rare).

The former was very tasty,

• but not as succulent as I would have hoped - having tried it elsewhere and been very very pleasantly surprised, I was merely satisfied this time. But the calves liver was melt-in-the-mouth-delicious. Again, a very generous portion considering it is such a rich meat.

We skipped dessert and went straight to tea and coffee since we were planning to go to the cinema afterwards. We went from having a very leisurely meal, to feel a very rushed and stressed because we were about to miss our showing …. it took nearly 20

minutes to get our bill.

I suspect the restaurant was understaffed, there were only three working and one was also head of house, so it was difficult to get attention. When we did it took a long time for the bill to materialize. And when we got the bill, it took a long time to get some attention, to pay by card ….

That experience was disappointing, but has not really put me off, as the food itself was lovely and excellent value with the TasteLondon discount. I will certainly go there again, but perhaps skip the cinema.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72601967471131/k2311a0126/1.26.10