Jack Daniels
  • However, it is an amazing fact that Jack Daniels, this world-class whiskey really only seems to have really got going after the last War

• by Andrew HN Gray

There are some things that are simply icons. I guess that Jack Daniels falls into that category. It has a ‘Good Ol’ Boy’ stamp that gives it a certain street credibility. It isn’t something that makes people think you’re trying to gain some superiority over them by drinking it. Drinking some French wines can do that. The same with your choice of cognac. Even the word, ‘cognac’ has overtones of some sort of smugness and self-satisfaction.

I wouldn’t want to suggest that people who drink Jack Daniels don’t have a degree of self-satisfaction. They have every right to feel that way. It’s a great drink. It has the essential components of any drink: it looks good; it tastes really good; it smells good and it feels good as it goes down your throat.

It’s said that the recipe that Jack Daniel used to

distil his whiskey was a Welsh one. The Welsh used to make their own whisky/whiskey a long time ago, but until recently, that was part of history. Recently (in the first few years of the twenty-first century), they started again, but I suspect that it will change completely from the kind that was originally made, as the new Welsh whisky is actually based on ingredients from Scotland. If it is based on Scotch whisky, I expect that it will taste similar.

However, it is an amazing fact that Jack Daniels, this world-class whiskey really only seems to have really got going after the last War. It seems that Prohibition got in its way and the US Government didn’t allow whiskey to be distilled during the War. Quite how it has become the icon it has in such a short time ...

• is hard to tell until you try a glass.

Now, I will admit that I am partial to a glass or two of Jack’s myself. It is a very powerful sour mash, if memory serves. It is much more powerful than Four Roses, for example, but without the sort of smokiness you get from Islay Malt Scotch Whiskies which come to mind as similarly powerful spirits. It has a sweetness, but much less so than Southern Comfort, for example. I would describe it as a taste that has overtones of glue, which may sound unappealing, but it is far from that. Indeed, it’s a challenging taste with layers of flavour ranging from an orangey hint to vanilla, which explains the sweetness, which may well be derived from the wooden barrels it is matured in. It is a powerful enough drink

to absorb a strong flavour like Coke and assimilate it, rather than be taken over by it.

I am probably writing words that would utterly condemn me in the eyes of a Jack Daniels loyal devotee, although I count myself as one, but this simply demonstrates its versatility as a drink. A word of warning, though. Jack Daniels may be charcoal filtered filtered twice and taste as bewitching as a mermaid’s kiss, but this is a mean drink. Do not abuse it. The distillery advises drinkers to drink responsibly and they are quite right to. Drink it in moderation. If I have more than a couple, I really know about it the next morning. That doesn’t happen with, say, Scotch and I have no idea why. It may just be me, but take heed. It’s a great drink, but use with caution!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272601966850831/k2311a0126/1.26.10