Catwatching and Catlore by Desmond Morris  » Books  »
  • I borrowed this book years ago when I got myself two little kittens to scare off the mice problem I had in my terraced house, but if you want to buy it I believe you can find it on Amazon for example
  • This is a very informative book full of interesting tidbits that help us to understand the behaviour of those entertaining cat pets of ours

• by jeanne71

Catwatching & Catlore is an easy to read on cat behaviour by the famous zoologist, Desmond Morris. I borrowed this book years ago when I got myself two little kittens to scare off the mice problem I had in my terraced house, but if you want to buy it I believe you can find it on Amazon for example. This is a very informative book full of interesting tidbits that help us to understand the behaviour of those entertaining cat pets of ours. Well, I always thought my cats were entertaining as they did

have funny little habits and this book is great for understanding them.

The index consists of a long series of questions we might ask, such as How does a cat manage to fall on its feet? or Are there any gay cats? or Why does a cat wag its tail? Also, it touches on sayings involving cats such as Why do we say ‘its raining cats and dogs’? The more friendly one of my kittens used to wake me up in the morning in the most cute way, by purring loudly and gently kneading ...

• my face. As he never hurt me, I just found this cute and used to like it, which is good because apparently cats get very offended if you push them away angrily. Morris explains that cats do this in an act of infantile regression as they are mimicking the actions of ‘kneading for milk’ on their mother’s belly and in the cat world, the mother would never knock her kitten away.

Funnily enough, this book also has some value for people who have a phobia about cats. Morris advises that the sure way

to get a cat to come over to you and rub itself against your leg is if you try to ignore it completely. The most efficient way to get a cat to not want to come near you is to stare at it constantly, coaxing it to come over.

This is a great little book that every cat owner should have, not only giving interesting information but information that should help you deal with certain problems like not going to the litter tray to do their ‘business’. A nice little book from an established animal behaviour specialist.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 172501965910531/k2311a0125/1.25.10