Greek Festival at Saint Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Church  » Entertainment  »
Bellingham, WA
  • I love attending the Greek Festival at Saint Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church here in Bellingham, WA

• by tfedge
      I love attending the Greek Festival at Saint Sophia’s Greek Orthodox Church here in Bellingham, WA. The festival is held in the parking lot behind the church. While there one gets the opportunity to watch Greek dancers performing native Greek dances.

Greek music plays constantly. I always go away from the festival feeling like digging out my VHS copy of Zorba the Greek just because the music and the atmosphere of the festival is so free and enthusiastic.

One of the features I love

is that tours of the churches are given by either the priest or someone else who is familiar with the meanings of the icons and other items in the church. I was raised in a Baptist-like household and everything is strange to me.

I find I love the formality of the liturgy and the icons make me feel like I am in Greece, not Bellingham. Let’s face it though.

The real reason I go is because of the food. You can get full Greek ...

• dinners, or you can get a Gyro or souvlaki in a pita with lamb or chicken, fresh sliced onions, tomatoes and lots of tzatziki sauce, a dip made out of yogurt, cucumber, and garlic.

A Greek salad tops off your entr饠and then it’s time for dessert. Greek desserts are different from ours, I don’t recall any chocolate.

From the familiar baklava to numerous cookies these are sweetened with honey and perfect to accomplish some Greek Coffee. Washington state tends to have the strongest full

bodied coffee and a double shot of espresso is the norm, but even by our standards, the coffee is rich and strong.

It’s served in tiny cups and that is sufficient. A cup of coffee and a piece of baklava never leaves me looking for chocolate.

I love going to outdoor festivals, particularly those with an ethnic theme where ethnic food is available. If you’ve never been to one, go! It’s a great chance to learn about other ethnic groups and to enjoy some great food.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5951096531031/k2311a105/10.5.06