Bunnahabhain Islay Single Malt Scotch Whisky
  • It was really a difficult name to remember, I decided to have him write the name down as I intended to buy it for my husband on Christmas Day
  • Since I got what I wanted for Christmas, I thought why not do the same for my husband who is definitely a whisky man
  • Because the packaging itself is so sturdy, there was no problem checking it even with the rest of the luggage once it was already opened
  • I found it quite smooth and was easily swallowed
  • It is definitely a good whisky – gentle yet strong enough, smooth on the palate with a lingering and long lasting finish

• by bethbarl

In one of the office dinners my husband’s boss hosted, this whisky was recommended as a personal favorite of a colleague. It was really a difficult name to remember, I decided to have him write the name down as I intended to buy it for my husband on Christmas Day.

Since I got what I wanted for Christmas, I thought why not do the same for my husband who is definitely a whisky man. He may not appreciate a lot of material things I got for him in the past but he can certainly acknowledge a good whisky when he sees or drinks one. The bottle is really heavy but I carried it all the way during our last week of travel for hubby. I got it in the

Duty Free shop in Johannesburg. Because the packaging itself is so sturdy, there was no problem checking it even with the rest of the luggage once it was already opened. I was sure it would not break.

It is supposed to have a natural color and un-chillfiltered (whatever this means). It is made by the Bunnahabhain (what a mouthful) Distillery Company which is in existence since 1881.

I find this whisky to be a real man’s whisky as its alcohol content is about 46.3 % volume. OK, I tasted it which I do not normally do just to see what all this is about this whisky. The smell is not so bad and unlike other whiskies which I have tasted, this one is very subtle.

The taste itself is a ...

• mixture of vanilla, some dried fruits, cinnamon and some citrus flavors or so I thought. I found it quite smooth and was easily swallowed. Its aftertaste is more like some gingerbread and spices which linger for quite some time on the palate. I had only a teeny weeny bit of this whisky which was enough for me to judge that this is quite the real thing.

My husband though loves it and this whisky makes a wonderful change from the usual brands that he bought. It’s his favorite after dinner drink at the moment in addition to the presence of an espresso. Not once did I see him get a hangover when he drinks this scotch. He always said to me that for as long that a whisky is

good, he never gets any hangover the day after not even if he has drunk a lot. This speaks a lot for the quality of this liquor.

I paid about R 525 or roughly $75 for a 1 liter bottle of Bunnahabhain. I found it expensive but it certainly is a premium product. I do not have any misgivings buying another bottle the next time I find this scotch in the supermarket (unlikely) or at the Duty Free shops. I would not also hesitate to recommend this whisky to buy as a gift to husbands or close men friends or to anyone who would appreciate a real whisky. It is definitely a good whisky – gentle yet strong enough, smooth on the palate with a lingering and long lasting finish.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 272501964640231/k2311a0125/1.25.10