Apple Macbook Pro (13-in., 2.26GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD)
  • I love my little netbook to bits, but I think that working on it for too long – especially on my longer articles and essays – might just make my eyes cross permanently
  • So I decided to invest in a full-sized laptop with a bigger screen
  • My MBP has been tops in just about every important aspect and I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a laptop

• by Chris

I love my little netbook to bits, but I think that working on it for too long – especially on my longer articles and essays – might just make my eyes cross permanently. So I decided to invest in a full-sized laptop with a bigger screen. There really was no contest – sorry to sound like a Mac fanboy, that’s something I’m not, but I never considered buying anything other than one of these Macbook Pros thanks to near rave reviews almost everywhere I looked and from almost everyone I’ve asked. My MBP has been tops in just about every important aspect and I would recommend it to anyone who is in the market for a laptop.

It’s a real looker if that matters to you. The aluminum unibody enclosure is a revelation – extremely sturdy since it’s carved out of a hunk of aluminum, and yet not too heavy for all that. No more creaks and groans – even my little Acer, love it though I do,

suffers from them if I press too heavily on the base. The screen is gorgeous, bright and clear if a little too reflective, but all you need do to reduce that is to tilt it back a little more. When it’s closed and/or if it’s open it looks very much like older Macbooks or other Macbook Pro models, and that’s a good thing – good looks run in the family. Jony Ive and Steve Jobs really outdid themselves with this number.

It’s a winner performance-wise as well. As I’ve said in previous reviews, I’m not much of a power user; neither my occupation nor my hobbies or interests has me running any sort of memory-hogging programs or applications. So from my not-so-demanding perspective, this rig works wonderfully well. Everything is slick and snappy, just what you expect given its looks. You just need to fire it up at the start and off you go.

Special note regarding the battery life – my MBP’s battery is one of ...

• the most powerful I’ve ever used. It’s lasted me more than four hours at a stretch, four hours of constant usage and with the Wi-Fi up and running. Amazing, really. And you have several tiny little LEDs at the left side of the unit which light up in quick succession once the small battery-check button is pushed. A quick and easy way to check battery info even if the unit is asleep or off.

And more kudos for the parts of the MBP that people touch the most, namely the trackpad and the keyboard. The new glass-fronted trackpad is massive compared to other trackpads, which makes it far easier to use than any I’ve ever tried before. It’s made larger so that people can easily operate it multi-touch – from one to four fingers. I’ve even seen a graphics application that lets people use the trackpad just like a graphics tablet. It really is that big. As for the keyboard, it’s pretty good as well. Key travel

is short and the key responsiveness is just right – meaning that typing is easy and quick and you neither have to pound on the keys or stroke them really gently to get stuff done.

Just a minor complaint from me. This is a superlative laptop, but I only wish the keys weren’t such fingerprint magnets. That said you can just wipe ‘em off with a damp cloth at the end of the day and they’ll turn out fine.

The 13-inch Macbook Pro is quite good value for the money – quite a change from some of its older predecessors. I still could’ve gone for something slightly cheaper, of course, but in my humble opinion no other laptop can approach this one for looks, ease of use, killer features, and overall user-friendliness. I hear this is, or was, the top-selling laptop in the US about a month ago, and if it’s really true I’m not surprised. Buy one if you need a new laptop – you won’t be sorry.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 632201963760131/k2311a0122/1.22.10