Disneyland  » Entertainment  »
1313 S Harbor Blvd Anaheim, CA 92802, USA
  • The best decision we made by far was getting there first thing in the morning
  • The Dumbo ride was the first one we hit - and I think we were the first ones on it
  • We even took her on Pirates of the Caribbean, which she enjoyed
  • I was happy to find that they had a small fruit stand selling apples, bananas and little cups of grapes

• by Karen22

We visited Disneyland in October, 2009 and had an awesome time! It had been about 20 years since I had been there last and it was my husband’s and our 3 year old daughter’s first time. We had driven all day from somewhere in Utah and arrived at our hotel in the evening very tired(see my review for Best Western Anaheim Inn). We had planned only one day at Disneyland so we rested up that night for our big day. We decided to get there as soon as it opened (8am that time of year) and lined up outside the front gates. Once they were open, it didn’t take long to get everyone in. The best decision we made by far was getting there first thing in the morning.

We took our daughter to all the rides she wanted to go on - with no lineups! The Dumbo ride was the first one we hit - and I think we were the first ones on it. We came later on in the afternoon and the lineup was enormous! Anyway, we went on Dumbo, It’s a Small World, Mr. Toad’s Wild

Ride, the Teacups all without a line. Our daughter was a bit afraid of some of the louder rides (even “It’s a Small World”!) as they have the music blaring. We even took her on Pirates of the Caribbean, which she enjoyed.

I think there are only a few rides that small children can’t go on. Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, Tarzan, Splash Mountain etc. There are a lot of shops at Disneyland for souvenirs, food, candy, clothes and the prices, as you would expect are pretty high. Some things you just can’t buy anywhere else - like the Mickey Mouse ears hats. They now have a huge variety of these types of hats.

You can choose different colored ears etc and make your own personalized hat. Surprisingly, we didn’t find a big variety of food. I think “Downtown Disney” has a choice of restaurants but this is actually not inside the gates of Disneyland (just outside). We ate sandwiches and later on chicken fingers, but didn’t find many quick easy meals. I was happy to find that they had a small fruit stand selling apples, bananas ...

• and little cups of grapes.

They were still expensive, but it was nice to be able to have some healthy options, especially for the kids. We brought along our own stroller for our daughter, another good decision. I read somewhere that it was better to rent one a the park and that you’d have to be careful with your own stroller. (to make sure it wasn’t stolen). There were so many strollers parked everywhere, it was very safe to leave them - as long as you didn’t leave any valuables behind.

The people that did rent a stroller from the park had a hard time figuring out who’s was who’s. As I said, we were there in October and the park was decorated for Halloween. The Haunted Mansion ride had hour long lineups all day - because of Halloween. The fireworks display at night also had a Halloween theme. The staff at Disneyland were amazing.

We were trying to convince our daughter to go on the Winnie the Pooh ride but she was worried she would be scared of it like Mr. Toad. She wouldn’t listen to

us but when the lady working that ride came over and told her it was a very nice ride for little kids - she was fine! After that there was no stopping her. We went on the Jungle Cruise at night - you can’t really see anything until the guide turns on the lights and shows you all the fake animals. Our daughter loved it.

The parade at night was fun, although we waited for an hour to see it. The theme was a street party, so they got everyone on their feet to dance along with all the Disney characters. It was a good place for our daughter to finally see all the characters - as you don’t see many of them just walking around the park like they used to. All in all, it was a very “magical” day as they say! My husband and I enjoyed it just as much as our daughter. Next time, we will stay for a week and see things at our own pace.

We were a bit rushed and completely exhausted after our full day at Disneyland. We didn’t even get to see California Adventure.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592201963571231/k2311a0122/1.22.10