Wagon Train: The Old Man Charvanaugh Story
1.5
  • I've watched it a couple of times, but no matter how I try, to me it's just boring and weird

• by Orrymain

Escorting a family to a settlement, Flint is joined by a concertina playing wanderer who is really a ruthless bandit. McCullough and the family are left to wander without proper clothing or supplies.

Wagon Train was one of the longest running and most successful television westerns. Originally, it focused on Wagonmaster Major Seth Adams, played by Ward Bond, as he led a wagon train of settlers from the east to the west. It was black and

white and an hour long. The 20th episode of the second season was an episode called The Old Man Charvanaugh Story. Quite honestly, I really tried to get into this story. I’ve watched it a couple of times, but no matter how I try, to me it’s just boring and weird.

J. Carrol Naish, one of the western character actors well known in Hollywood, guest starred in the title role of Charvanaugh. This unsocialable ...

• character was a mystery and just plain strange. I didn’t care about him, whether he was good or bad. He just annoyed me.

Charvanuagh was traveling on the wagon train with family members, including one named Squirrel, played by L.Q. Jones. Now L.Q. is a heck of an actor. He’s usually a villain, but no matter what, you can count on him to deliver a memorable performance. Mickey Finn played another member of

the clan, as did Quintin Sondergaard, though I can’t say there was anything really positive between the two of them.

Frankly, Wagon Train: The Old Man Charvanaugh Story is forgettable. Other than the crazy family, it’s your typical bad guys want to steal the goods on the wagon train. Been there, done that.

Truly, there are so many other episodes of this western series to watch, that I’d just skip this one and go on to something better.

Vanessa Roberts says :

re : I’ve watched it a couple of times, but no matter how I try, to me it’s just boring and weird
    This was a weird, strange episode with an abrupt ending. Harry was absolutely without a soul and the mother was not present. She didn’t seem to care about the little boy at all. This was more of a Night Gallery/Twilight Zone episode.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102201963441231/k2311a0122/1.22.10