Droctor Who season 1 episode 2 The End of the World  » TV  »
  • I thought this show was a serious one until I saw this episode
  • The idea of this episode is really interesting, we realise we are so small and unessential to and for the earth

• by lorelai

I thought this show was a serious one until I saw this episode. Well, this episode made me realise that this show is probably in the same category as Power Rangers and similar children Sci-Fi show. In this episode The Doctor takes Rose 5 billion years in the future to see the day when the Earth gets destroyed by the sun.

They arrive at this space station from which they are supposed to watch the Earth burn out with some other head of the spices and with the last human being. The creature doesn’t look much like human but she is made of skin and vanes

because she wanted to be so thin and young that she had hundreds of plastic surgeries in 2000 years she’s been living.

The idea of this episode is really interesting, we realise we are so small and unessential to and for the earth. Some really important questions are raised here about humanity and about time.

The Doctor says at a certain point to Rose that most of us think about the destruction of the Earth by a meteor or similar disaster but the fact is that most of the human race didn’t die because of it. They died because their time has come.

It made me ...

• think about time and our existence. The plot wasn’t that interesting; someone was killing the servants who were serving the guests on the space ship.

That someone wanted everyone to burn when the sun explodes. It was Lady Cassandra who was guilty, someone paid her to do it and she needed money for the surgeries.

Anyway, another irony about the man kind; although the Earth is about to be destroyed the last human being doesn’t really care for it but cares only about the money. I liked the episode because the general idea wasn’t superficial.

It even managed to trick me. Some other spice was giving

away gifts with metal spiders which were programmed to destroy the ship so it never even occurred to me that Lady Cassandra could have been the guilty one.

What I didn’t like about this episode was the acting, the costumes and the characters. You know the way Star Trek is made, although the other spices are actually just people with a bunch of make up at least they look kind a realistic while here everyone looked like a cartoon character.

Maybe that’s better in the way that not all other spices have two legs, two arms and a head like those in Star Trek but still here they looked rather funny.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102101962670831/k2311a0121/1.21.10