Janet and John’s Restaurant  » Restaurants  »
The Harbour, Cala Bona, Mallorca, Spain
  • I found that chips day-in, day-out are phenomenally dull (and fattening)
  • I noticed several people who seemed to have all their meals there, from what they were saying
  • They would vary a dish for you with no problem, also
  • I can recommend their steak (Spanish beef is very good quality) and their chicken dishes were also tasty

• by Andrew HN Gray

If you are ever in the Balearic Islands off Spain, be sure to pop in to Janet and John’s Restaurant in Cala Bona Harbour. You need to have a good two hours or more to enjoy this restaurant fully and to chat to the staff.

Janet & John’s is one of several restaurants overlooking the small, but busy harbour in this tourist resort. In fact, it’s so close to the harbour that you could almost fall in from their front tables. The view is great, as in the distance, a headland juts out into the sea and boats are forever to-ing and fro-ing as fishermen go out to sea in the evening to make their catches, and tourists return from the day at sea.

The waiters are an interesting duo. One is clearly Spanish, with jet black hair and an ability to chat in either Spanish or the local dialect. I was quite knocked sideways when he spoke to us

in English, however, as he has a Welsh accent. The other had a clearly English accent, but he seemed to rub along pretty well in Spanish too, so I don’t know whether he was a native or not. Regardless, both were excellent at giving good service. They chatted away, nineteen to the dozen and always remembered you from your previous visit.

The food served at this restaurant was first class. My only criticism would be the quantities they give you. I have a healthy appetite, but I struggled to eat the huge portions they gave us. They have fantastic wiener schnitzel (actually pork chops in breadcrumbs) but it was exquisite. They do have one failing, however, in that they only serve chips. It is the same with every restaurant I ate in at Cala Bona. Maybe boiled potatoes, or even roasts are illegal in Spain. I found that chips day-in, day-out are phenomenally dull (and fattening).

The greeting when you arrive ...

• at Janet & John’s was warm. I noticed several people who seemed to have all their meals there, from what they were saying. They chatted to the staff as if they were old friends, and that strikes me as being the ideal recommendation. The drinks were very good. They sourced Spanish wines which were very good value for money. They would do their best to fit you in, if they could. They would vary a dish for you with no problem, also. I can recommend their steak (Spanish beef is very good quality) and their chicken dishes were also tasty. Overall ,one of the great qualities of their cuisine was that they had both a good variety of vegetables, including salads, but also cooked vegetables. Each would be accompanied by either a light vinaigrette dressing, or a sauce.

Puddings were delicious. Ice creams in several flavours, fruit tarts and things the names of which I didn’t recognise. A choice of all

the usual Spanish brandies, or whiskies from Scotland, liqueurs from all over the world were there for you. The coffee was a bit of a let-down, though, as they don’t seem to have espresso, which was a surprise. When we were eating, we had the added bonus of regular entertainment in the nearby square We had break-dancers one evening and a fantastic Spanish Queen tribute band as well. My only complaint, which probably sounds a bit grumpy was that the performers expected everyone at the surrounding cafes to stump up for them, whether you wanted to see their show or not!

All-in-all, however, the general atmosphere at Janet & John’s was welcoming and the staff couldn’t have been more helpful. The standard of cuisine was consistently good and the drinks were of a good quality too. Even the other diners were nice. We had no problems with anyone and everyone was polite and sober. The setting was beautiful too. Well worth visiting.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 72101962150731/k2311a0121/1.21.10