E-Type Jaguar (1.8 litre) fixed head  » Cars  »
  • I‘m six foot two and I never had a problem

• by Andrew HN Gray

There can be few (if any) cars that are more iconic than the E-Type Jaguar. There were several models of this British classic, including both hardtop (‘fixed head’) and open-topped (‘drop-head’) types. The engine power varied too. However, I am going to discuss one model here. It is the 1.8 litre, fixed head E-Type Jaguar (pronounced ‘Jag -you-are’ in British pronunciation) produced with British weather in mind, no doubt.

The fixed head E-Type was less iconic than the drop-head version, but it was still a show-stopper. Many is the time that I parked my Old English white E-Type (with a red leather interior) and went

shopping, only to return to find a crowd staring into her interior, looking for I don’t know what. People remember you when you have – or when you have had – an E-Type, even decades later! It’s like being a film star!

What points are there to note about an E-Type?

Fuel efficiency – forget it. It has a thirst like a dredger and swallows fuel like water. Still, if you can afford to look after a lady with expensive tastes, like an E-Type, you should be able to afford it.

Electrics – terrible. It kept on conking out. I kept a matchbox in the glove compartment ...

• to sand the connections down, so that it would start again.

Road-holding – terrible. In the wet, she just kept on going in whichever direction she was already heading.

Brakes – awful. You’d be better with an anchor attach to a heavy-duty chain.

Leg-room – not bad. I‘m six foot two and I never had a problem. The engine compartment is very long, of course.

Comfort – fine. The seats were great. I’ve mentioned leg-room. The rear seat was deigned for legless dwarves to sit on.

Heating – great. Not so good in summer though. You just got heated by the engine, whether you liked it or not.

Acceleration –

absolutely phenomenal! She takes off sideways if you aren’t careful, she has so much torque. I raced a new car and got to 135mph before the back door blew open and almost blew her off the road. I had only got the accelerator about half-way down.

Girl-pulling power – incredible – rather like being Warren Beatty, I suppose.

Looks – unsurpassed. Police cars would silently pull up beside me and the motorway cops would say, “Swap you!”

Conclusion – if you have a spare £20,000 to spare, don’t drive in the wet, want to have an amazing sex life, be remembered by everyone and possibly die young, get one!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 92101962130731/k2311a0121/1.21.10