MUSK (Alyssa Ashley), perfume oil  » Perfume  »
  • But in my opinion, a true lover of musk can hardly do any better than Alyssa Ashley's Musk
  • I have noticed that many perfume buffs call it bland , boring (
  • On my skin (which tends to make everything smell sweet ), its drydown is definitely musky, with a lightly soapy but predominantly (soft) animal residual scent
  • And so, I would not recommend wearing it on a board meeting or whenever it is very important for you to make a good first impression (for the reasons see below)

• by Pretty Polly

Musk has been a fixture of perfume-making since the dawn of perfumery.

(If you care about animal rights, you may be relieved to know that the original substance, of animal origin, was replaced by a synthetically obtained scent many years ago.) And while it was once used mostly as a base note for “oriental” or “exotic” perfumes, today musk is everywhere, in varieties previously undistinguished: wild musk, white musk, “soft” musk… But in my opinion, a true lover of musk can hardly do any better than Alyssa Ashley’s “Musk”.

Introduced in 1969, as a “unisex” fragrance, it is still sold today - and it is the only “unisex” fagrance to date that I have been able to use. (But apparently not

many men ever use it, which is all the more paradoxical because it’s on precisely men that musk smells irresistibly sexy - at least to women.)

And unlike other fragrances of the “hippy” era, which many (msyelf included) find all too “earthy” heady, incense-like, AA’s musk is just that - musk, pure and simple.

I have noticed that many perfume buffs call it “bland”, “boring” (?), etc. Well, what you read on the label is what you get: musk, no more, no less… Or is it?

While researching its composition, I was shocked to learn it’s much more than musk!

Get this: according to the maker, its top notes are orange blossom and Sicilian bergamot (neither of which I can smell), the ...

• middle notes are aldehydes, rose, jasmine, clove, ylang-ylang and iris (again, none of which I can perceive, except MAYBE a hint of ylang ylang), while its base notes are amber, oakmoss, tonka beans and what the maker calls “original musk”.

On my skin (which tends to make everything smell “sweet”), its drydown is definitely musky, with a lightly soapy but predominantly (soft) “animal” residual scent.

I must admit, I do find it erotic; and what I most like about it is that it blends perfectly with the natural scent of my skin - or perhaps it just mimicks it. Either way, it’s like being bathed in an aura of soft sexuality - not perfume at all. And so, I would

not recommend wearing it on a board meeting or whenever it is very important for you to make a good “first impression” (for the reasons see below). It is something I would wear for a “hot” date - preferably at home…

N.B. When using musk there is something you should know: it is very much a love-it-or-hate-it scent. Various research studies have shown that people’s reaction to musk can be divided into three big groups: only about one third of people are more or less indifferent to it, while one third love it and find it unambiguously erotic, and one third are REPULSED by it. So before using it on a romantic date… try to make sure that your date doesn’t fall in the last category.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 562101962120731/k2311a0121/1.21.10