Neovadiol Skin care (Vichy)
  • I started using Novadiol (the old formulation) in my thirties and I noticed an immediate positive effect
  • As much as I like Vichy (it is the only commercial skin care I ever use, beside my own essential oil preparations), I had seen the same situation a few times before - products being replaced by improved versions which, however, didn't measure up - so I was wary
  • In my experience, the night and day versions of Neovadiol are practically identical in their composition and effects

• by Pretty Polly

Neovadiol is the successor of Novadiol, a skin care line introduced by Vichy in 2003 and discontinued in 2007.

Like Novadiol, the creams (day, night, eye cream) from the Neovadiol line are marketed as being primarily appropriate for women older than fifty, whose skin may lack elasticity because of the changing hormonal levels, especially the loss of estrogen. Because it contains phytoestrogens (presumably from soy), it is supposed to boost the natural hormonal balance and hence restore some of the elasticity lost.

However, precisely because their main action comes from phytoestrogen, these creams can be useful even to women much younger than fifty, provided their hormonal levels are the main cause

for the sagging of their skin.

I started using Novadiol (the old formulation) in my thirties and I noticed an immediate positive effect. The contours of my face and chin became visibly more taut and the skin appeared plumper, fresher.

I had also bought one for my mother, and the effect was visible on her skin, too.

Needless to say, both my mother and I were dismayed when four years later Novadiol was discontinued. It was being replaced by an “improved” version, I was told: Neovadiol.

As much as I like Vichy (it is the only commercial skin care I ever use, beside my own essential oil preparations), I had seen the ...

• same situation a few times before - products being replaced by “improved” versions which, however, didn’t measure up - so I was wary.

And, alas, I was right not to expect much.

Neovadiol is a fine cream, very good for keeping the skin soft and nourished… but in my experience, the “rejuvenating” effect is nowehere near the old Novadiol’s.

I tried to find out what exactly it is that was replaced or “improved”, but never did. The key ingredients listed appear to be the same; but something has changed their interaction. (Not just on my skin, on my mother’s too.) Whatever it was, the original formula - Novadiol - had it; the

“improved” version does not.

However, if you are looking for a fine textured cream, easily absorbed by the skin, with a very light and pleasant fragrance, that will keep your skin looking “refined”, soft and well nourished - all that without having to spend a fortune - you might want to give it a try nevertheless. And, as with most commercially produced creams, don’t bother to buy different products for night and day use. In my experience, the “night” and “day” versions of Neovadiol are practically identical in their composition and effects.

My rating for the original formulation (Novadiol) would be 10; the new version (Neovadiol) I would rate with a 7/8.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 312101961730731/k2311a0121/1.21.10