Oust Candle  » Housewares  »
2.5
  • When I found Oust was now makeing and selling and odor fighting candle, I rushed to my local Supermarket and bought one for $7.99 CDN
  • The front of the box of Oust says the candles are 'oil candle refills' which I thought was odd, because you cannot refill a candle
  • The packaging of the Oust box was quite attractive and definitely a major part of my decision to buy this product
  • Oust had its usual slogan 'Eliminates odours without just masking' which I knew to be true of their sprays, and I did love the glass candle holder that went with the two small pale green candles, which I think was what really sucked me in
  • This time all the odors in my house were gone, despite the fact that I had kept the candle in the living room, so on that level I was impressed

• by Melissa Glenn

Once in awhile I find myself buying really dud products and this Oust Candle is no exception. I have always been a huge fan of Oust products, and have repeatedly bought their odor fighting sprays for my furniture and rugs as I have a dog and several cats. When I found Oust was now makeing and selling and odor fighting candle, I rushed to my local Supermarket and bought one for $7.99 CDN. I should have left it on the shelf.

This Oust Candle actually is two tea light candles, and a glass holder to rest the candles on. The front of the box of Oust says the candles are ‘oil candle refills’ which I thought was odd, because you cannot refill a candle. The packaging of the Oust box was quite attractive and definitely a major part of my decision to buy this product. Oust had its usual slogan ‘Eliminates odours without just masking’ which I knew to be true of their sprays, and I did love the glass candle holder that went with the two

small pale green candles, which I think was what really sucked me in.

When I opened the clear box I took out the candle holder, and to my suprise it looked like an upside down ashtray. Their is an inch high clear glass base and a square on top that has a silver lining so that when I place the candle in the raised middle, the wax will pool onto this silver base without overheating the glass. I did wonder however; why I needed such a large candle holder for such a small candle.

I followed directions and placed the green oval tea light candle in the middle of the candle holder, where there is a slightly raised hump to rest it on. The candle itself looked a bit odd; and felt slightly squishy which concerned me as the box says this candle contains scented oil. I got it in place and lit the wick, and got prepared to be amazed. It was to be a long wait.

After lighting the candle wick smoked for a minute and then ...

• settled down, but I found it odd that a candle so small would have an inch high flame. Then came the interesting part, when I tried to use the flame to light my ciggarette it wouldn’t light. I wondered if this was a flameless candle, and then wondered how could that be seeing as I had a flame. On a good note, I did begin to get a nice algae sought of scent almost immediatly that was subtle and uplifting. I didn’t know what kind of scent I was going ot get as the Oust box didn’t say.

The Oust candle was suppose to burn for two and a half to three hours, and to its credit it did just that. What was bizarre though was that after twenty five to thirty minutes the candle seem to collapse and all this oil spilled on to the silver lining of the Oust ‘candle holder’. I didn’t expect it to keep burning for much longer after that, but it did. At the end, it was simply the wick that

was burning the candle was all in a puddle of wax.

After I burned the first Oust candle I did find that the cooking odors and wet dog odor I had had earlier in the day were much improved but not gone! I decided to burn the second candle and found the same thing; after twenty five minutes all the oil oozed out and the candle collapsed but kept burning for another two hours. This time all the odors in my house were gone, despite the fact that I had kept the candle in the living room, so on that level I was impressed.

Quite frankly this Oust candle is rather bizarre, and expensive! I used both candles in one day so I used up my $7.99CDN. A bottle of Oust lasts about a month for the same price, so I’m going back to the spray. If your a candle lover like me you might initially like the way this Oust candle package looks, but don’t buy it, it is simply a wierd product that is not worth the money.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 532001960630631/k2311a0120/1.20.10