Vicks Nyquil less drowsy  » Medicine  »
  • Another change I noticed was that the Vicks less drowsy didn't contain and alcohol like the original
  • But I would recommend the less drowsy version too

• by mariekay

I have been taking Vicks Nyquil for colds and coughs for years. Even when I was a kid, that’s what my mom always gave me when I was sick. It’s well know that Nyquil is effective in reieving cold and flu symptoms plus helps you sleep. Recently I came across a new product by Vicks called Nyquil Less drowsy. The claim is that the product will relieve a cough, sore throat, headache, minor aches and pains, fever, runny nose, and sneezing, and also help you get the rest you need.

I wondered what was different from the original Nyquil, and what exactly makes the product “less drowsy”. I mean when I have

a cold, I kind of like how Nyquil makes me sleep, but then again sometimes I feel groggy the next day. So I did some investigating on this new product and decided to give it a try. I was perfectly happy with th eoriginal Nyquil, so I figured if this new stuff wasn’t any better, I would just go back to the original.

The main difference between the original and the new product is that the Nyquil less drowsy has a different antihistamine than original Nyquil. The original contains Doxylamine succinate, and the less drowsy version contains Chlorpheniramine maleate, which apparently causes less drowsiness. Another change I noticed was that the ...

• Vicks less drowsy didn’t contain and alcohol like the original. I was skeptical that this medication would even make me tired at all.

But I wanted to give it a try, so this past winter when I developed a cold, I took the recommended dose of Nyquil less drowsy. It actually did a good job of making me feel better. All my symptoms were diminished. I seemed to sleep fine too. I wouldn’t say it knocked me out like the original, but I didn’t wake up in the night either.

One nice thing about this product is that you could take it during the day too. It’s recommended

for night time use, but it doesn’t knock you out so much to where you wouldn’t be able to function if you took it during the day. You would feel a litttle drowsy, but that is the case with basically any product that contains an antihistamine.

So, for me it’s a toss up. I like them both. I always keep the original Nyquil in the house just becausee that’s what I’m used to. But I would recommend the less drowsy version too. It’s a good product for people who may not want to take or give medicine with alcohol in it. It still gives you the relief and rest you need.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261901959940631/k2311a0119/1.19.10