Hong Kong Airport  » Travel  »
Hong Kong International airport, Hong Kong
  • I had to search a bit, but once I found the lift to the second floor the rest of the day was saved
  • It wasn't cheap, but I think that shower must have been one of the ones I've enjoyed most
  • It most definitely tasted better than what we got on the plane, not only because it was better, but because it wasn't too warm there
  • There were other terminals, but then you had to order food at the company that owned them and as I had just eaten, I decided to walk instead
  • Finding someone who talks English was no problem

• by FoTorunn

The first time I came to Hong Kong airport I was feeling more or less horrible. I had left Norway one and a half day before, and then I spent 12 hours in walking around in London with a friend before I flew on to Hong Kong. The flight was very warm, so when we landed I was sweaty, tired and must have looked quite dishevelled. After wandering around for about half an hour I saw a sign for a shower. I had to search a bit, but once I found the lift to the second floor the rest of the day was saved. It wasn’t cheap, but I think that shower must have been one of the ones I’ve enjoyed most. Very clean showers, comfortable towels, shampoo, soap and everything else you could possibly need was provided, and if you wanted more relaxation, you could also have a glass of wine in their bar. I spent as

much time as possible in the shower before wandering out into the airport again.

After having had a shower, my second quest was to find food. There was quite a lot to choose in, and it wasn’t too expensive. It most definitely tasted better than what we got on the plane, not only because it was better, but because it wasn’t too warm there. It was at a quite inconvenient time but still there were several open restaurants and cafes serving fresh food. I also got good service and was quite happy afterwards, but still had several hours at the airport. First I tried to find internet connection. There were some terminals you could stand at and pay with credit card; they were fast enough but it was a bit tiring to stand while surfing and sending e-mails. There were other terminals, but then you had to order food at the company that owned them and as I had ...

• just eaten, I decided to walk instead. I was going on to Australia, so some exercise was a good idea before the next flight. It was a quite good walk, the airport was quiet so I walk between the gates while windows shopping. It was a lot of shops, so although I didn’t buy anything I had enough to do. The only thing I couldn’t find was news papers or books in English, so I ended up walking for quite a while. If you don’t want to walk or are in a hurry, there are moving pavements and a driverless people mover to get people around at the airport for free.

The other times I’ve been at Hong Kong airport I haven’t had as much time, but once I got through security it has always been a pleasant air port to wait at. I’ve seen the view only once, quite splendid actually, but it is very often foggy and

then you can’t see a thing. The only thing that has annoyed me is that the security check when you land has lasted for ages; one of the reasons being that there is no place to empty your water bottle before going through it. Many people have water bottles on the plane, and you can’t bring it through security with water in it so you have to either empty it, throw it away or drink it. Many chose to drink it, so that part was a bit chaotic. The security personnel weren’t unfriendly, but they looked sterner than the ones in for example the UK or Australia. But just do as they tell you, and you’ll be fine. Finding someone who talks English was no problem.

If you want to go to the airport with public transport, you can go with bus, ferry, rail or taxi. It is one of the world’s busiest airports, so being there in time is good idea.

Hong Kong Airport

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381901959670531/k2311a0119/1.19.10