Timeless Favorites: Rodgers & Hammerstein CD
2.5
  • I have to admit that while these songs are classics, well known, and enjoyable, I miss the versions I know so well
  • Because I love these musicals so much, it feels like a let down

• by Orrymain

Timeless Favorites: Rodgers & Hammerstein CD is a production released by Reader’s Digest Music. I’m not sure how many of these they did, but I also have one of these with Lerner & Loewe classics on them. There are a number of selections from Carousel, The King and I, South Pacific, Sound of Music, and Oklahoma!

My favorite number is the Ed Ames vocal on

You’ll Never Walk Alone. That song is always spiritual and inspirational in nature and a person needs to have a voice that can really boom at the right moments. Ames is perfect for it, though I don’t know if he ever sang this on Broadway or not.

I have to admit that while these songs are classics, well known, and enjoyable, I miss the ...

• versions I know so well. I suspect a lot of these singers are hired by Reader’s Digest. They aren’t from the stage plays. That’s not a dig; it just means it’s different, and in this case, I’m not enjoying them as much as if I had a connection with the performers.

For example, as good as Helen Landis is on Climb Ev’ry Mountain, I’m

not quite taken over those mountains to freedom as I am when it’s sung by those I’ve heard on Broadway and movie soundtracks. Because I love these musicals so much, it feels like a let down.

So, while Timeless Favorites: Rodgers & Hammerstein CD has the songs, it lacks the heart and the passion for me. I actually prefer the Lerner & Loewe collection over this one.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141901958740431/k2311a0119/1.19.10