The Only Broadway CD You’ll Ever Need CD  » Music  »
  • I also think that the only number I'm not happy with is The Impossible Dream which is sung by Colm Wilkinson, who I know is supposed to be one of the best

• by Orrymain

The Only Broadway CD You’ll Ever Need CD is a great collection of Broadway performances. These are sometimes performed by those we may know from the movies, or not. The songs themselves are so good that it almost doesn’t matter who the singers are.

The liner jacket is very valuable because it lists each song, the performers, and then a little something about the play and/or the particular selection chosen to be on the CD.

William Warfield opens the CD with a

magnificent rendition of Old Man River from Showboat. Now that song is a powerful show pleaser and it always gets me. Warfield owns this song.

Included is a rousing number by Ethel Merman, Jerry Orbach, and a couple of others with There’s No Business Like Show Business. That had me tapping my heels.

Probably my only disappointment in choices in this album, and even including its follow up, is that for the Bye Bye Birdie selection of Rosie, they used the ...

• recent Jason Alexander/Vanessa Williams version. That was nice, but I just really love the original rendition with Dick Van Dyke.

I also think that the only number I’m not happy with is The Impossible Dream which is sung by Colm Wilkinson, who I know is supposed to be one of the best. However, I’ve heard this song sung hundreds of times, and I feel like I’ve heard it sung many times in a more dramatic way. Jim Nabors, Glen Campbell,

Robert Goulet — those are just three singers off the top of my head that I associate with this stirring song who do sing it better than Wilkinson; at least, in my opinion.

Then, though, I listen to another number like 42nd Street’s Lullaby of Broadway, sung so wonderfully by Jerry Orbach, and the CD is back on track big time. Orbach was born to do this song.

This is a terrific CD. If you love Broadway, you have to have it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 141901958720431/k2311a0119/1.19.10