Textbook: Principles of Environmental Engineering and Science by Davis and Masten
  • I like to have a clear outline and concise lists instead of the flowing paragraph style that puts me to sleep

• by jamesa9791
      Principles of Environmental Engineering and Science by Davis and Masten is a textbook that covers all of the basic (and not so basic) concepts of environmental science and engineering. Topics covered include chemistry, materials and energy balance, ecosystems, hydrology, risk, geology, water quality, air pollution, waste management, agriculture, noise, and radiation.

This book coveres a lot of material, and

it seems like the authors spread themselves too thin.

Often they will just quote another textbook for several pages instead of writing original material.

There is no consistent format of writing style.

Unlike other books, I cannot skim for the outline or for lists.

Everything is in essay form, which is unusual and inconvenient for a ...

• science and engineering book.

I like to have a clear outline and concise lists instead of the flowing paragraph style that puts me to sleep.

When there is a table, it fills the entire page with numbers and it is too much to take in.

This book also goes too heavy into the math.

I am good

at mathematics and I am an engineer, but I find it hard to find the mathematical arguments in this book.

This book is useful as a reference because it covers so much.

In some places, where the authors chose a good textbook to quote, the material is well presented.

Too often, however, I find it hard to learn from this book.

kyungsok says :

what?

Jules Li says :

Kyungsok, I don’t see a statement here, so if you have a concern, I would suggest restating it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2006. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5021095811131/k2311a102/10.2.06