T-Mobile Wireless Broadband Card
1.0
  • After moving to a new location and having trouble with my AT&T DSL line, I decided to try T-Mobile's wireless broadband plan as an alternative to a single location DSL or cable wireless service
  • While I did not test the exact speed, I can say from experience that the speed is more akin to dial-up than DSL or cable
  • If you choose not to sign a contract with T-Mobile, they will not waive the equipment fee, and the actual card will cost over $100 in addition to your monthly usage fee
  • In my opinion, there are much better, much cheaper ways to access the internet

• by ajolie7

After moving to a new location and having trouble with my AT&T DSL line, I decided to try T-Mobile’s wireless broadband plan as an alternative to a single location DSL or cable wireless service. I have been using the card for four days now, and I am ready to go back to the hassle of dealing with AT&T’s inefficient system. Luckily, T-Mobile offers a 14-day return window, in which a customer can return the wireless card and cancel the broadband contract.

While the idea of a wireless card is certainly nice, I have several

complaints about the product and service: 1.) It is EXPENSIVE. If you a single person who is used to paying your ISP bill entirely on your own, then the $59.99/month price tag will not come as much of a burden. However, if others in your household plan to use the service, they must acquire their own card and their own contract. To me, this seems ridiculous given how inexpensive it is for multiple household members to connect wirelessly to most home-based ISP networks.

2.) T-Mobile offers a 5GB monthly limit for the wireless ...

• card then charges for every GB over 5. I already maxed out my 5GB limit in 5 days!

3.) The broadband connection is extremely slow. While I did not test the exact speed, I can say from experience that the speed is more akin to dial-up than DSL or cable.

4.) Like dial-up service, you must manually connect to the web each time you turn on your computer. Not a huge hassle, but not something I’m used to having to do.

5.) If you choose not to sign a contract with T-Mobile, they

will not waive the “equipment” fee, and the actual card will cost over $100 in addition to your monthly usage fee.

Pros: 1.) Software installation was very user-friendly and is accomplished through the wireless card without extraneous disks.

2.) This service would be ideal for a single person who travels frequently and needs constant internet access from multiple locations.

I do not recommend this product. In my opinion, there are much better, much cheaper ways to access the internet. Hopefully the market will drive down the price gouging on this sub-par equipment and service as ISP technology advances and becomes more efficient.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 211801957520831/k2311a0118/1.18.10