Betty Crocker Super Moist Carrot Cake  » Food  »
  • I bought two boxes of this mix recently as I thought they were a great deal price wise, each costing around a dollar
  • Generally I like cake mixes for the ease and because they are much cheaper than buying already baked cakes
  • I have been buying cake mixes for years without a problem but these when baked up just didn't turn out very well at all, even though I followed all of the instructions

• by bookwyrm

I bought two boxes of this mix recently as I thought they were a great deal price wise, each costing around a dollar. Now, however, I’m not too sure. Generally I like cake mixes for the ease and because they are much cheaper than buying already baked cakes. I have been buying cake mixes for years without a problem but these when baked up just didn’t turn out very well at all, even though I followed all of the instructions.

These cakes, simply

put, were too moist. They cracked, crumbled and literally fell apart. Soft and tender cakes are nice, sure, but this is just too soft! Even keeping them inside the pan they were baked in it was impossible to serve entire slices, as pieces kept breaking off as soon as I started lifting it from the pan. I ended up with a crumbled mess on the plates.

Nor was it easy to spread frosting on these. The simple act of spreading frosting across the cake’s ...

• top surface caused hunks to break free and stick to the frosting and the knife. So then I ended up with frosting that had unattractive cake crumbs in it. That’s not exactly how it’s supposed to work, is it?

I wouldn’t even dream of trying to assemble the traditional frosted two layer cake from these. I had hoped to originally, but after seeing how they fall apart so easily I had to scratch than plan. I baked two boxes of these at once

and did gently remove one cake from the baking pan, but it had fallen apart into several pieces. It looked very much like a cracked jigsaw puzzle.

One good thing about these mixes is they taste good. The carrot cake has a nice spicy flavor and my family liked how they taste. There was nothing wrong in that department. Perhaps if one adds a bit more flour to the mix the cakes won’t be so crumbly and will stay together more, thus being a great bargain.

Betty Crocker Super Moist Carrot Cake
    Marion says :

Why does Betty Crocker Super Moist Carrot Cake fall apart when I try to get it out of the pan?

ani says :

make sure to oil the pan well before pouring the mixture in and setting to bake. after baking allow to cool for 1 hour. take a knife and loosen the sides. flip upside down on a plate and then right side up on another plate. i do this and it does not fall apart for me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 271701955650831/k2311a0117/1.17.10