Ace Fiberglass Air Filter (Blue)  » Other  »
0.5
  • The blue stuff that makes up the filter itself looks like tangled blue spider webs - that's the best way I can describe it
  • If I do try to use them I will end up coughing again and I don't like coughing

• by bookwyrm

I used to use these air filters in my furnace but truthfully they do not work very well at all. These are the dark blue ones with the brown cardboard frames. The blue stuff that makes up the filter itself looks like tangled blue spider webs - that’s the best way I can describe it.

I used to buy these because they were low priced but then I started to get an annoying chronic cough. My cough started

just after I turned the furnace on in the fall, at the beginning of the heating season.

And no, I didn’t have a cold or some virus. I was coughing because the large gaps in these blue filters allows all sort of dirt through the ductwork and up into my living quarters.

The stuff, whatever it was, ended up in my lungs and it was making me cough badly. It took me awhile to figure this out but ...

• in the end I did.

My cough went away after I purchased different filters and slid one into the furnace, allowing it to catch the dust and dirt for about a week.

I have realized that I’m not saving any money at all by buying these badly made blue furnace filters.

They catch very little of the stuff that is floating around in the air, whatever the stuff might be. I think the blue (fiberglass?) just catches the largest

hunks of dirt, most likely dust I guess.

These blue filters have more holes in them than a hunk of Swiss cheese and you can practically see right through them. In fact buying these is actually wasting money as the extra ones I have I now cannot use.

If I do try to use them I will end up coughing again and I don’t like coughing. I guess I will give them away and hope someone takes them.

Steve says :

Appreciated your review. You are not the only one experiencing chronic coughing due to this type of filter. If you see this message, would you mind sharing what type of filter worked for you and where you purchased, thanks in advance.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 121701955640831/k2311a0117/1.17.10