Star Wreck (DVD)  » Movies  »
  • However, I think whoever put this collection of episodes together did a rather poor job of it
  • While all three episodes are based somewhat on movies, they don't match very well at all and that is the problem
  • The other two episodes were based on movies I had never cared to see and found outright boring
  • I know there were many of them made during the 1980s, including Star Wars
  • The Sherlock Holmes one surprised me by actually being interesting, even though I don't like Sherlock Holmes

• by bookwyrm

This is a DVD collection of three “Alvin and the Chipmunks” cartoons from the 1980s. I remember watching these on Saturday morning as a kid, so it was nice to see Alvin, Simon and Theodore again in action. I particularly love their theme song, “We’re the Chipmunks”, and the song is at the beginning of one of the episodes. However, I think whoever put this collection of episodes together did a rather poor job of it.

While all three episodes are based somewhat on movies, they don’t match very well at all and that is the problem. That is,

one is a science fiction and the other two are mysteries. I have always loved classic Star Trek and in the first episode Alvin is playing Captain Kirk (with a slightly changed name, of course). The other two episodes were based on movies I had never cared to see and found outright boring: “Dick Tracey” and “Sherlock Holmes”. Why in the world they would put a “Star Trek” episode with these other two movies is beyond me! Why not pair it up with two more science fiction movies? I know there were many of them made during the 1980s,

• including “Star Wars”.

I thought the “Star Trek” episode was OK. It’s not exactly great and it didn’t copy one of the Star Trek movies (nor any of the TV episodes). It followed it’s own made up storyline that at times seemed a tad strange. A few parts did make me smile, like how McCoy told Kirk that one crewmember was refusing to report for his medical exam and it turned out to be Kirk himself! That was borrowed from one of the episodes and I had fun recognizing it.

The “Dick Tracy” episode was very weird and I

didn’t like it at all. The various characters just looked too bizarre, like they had shoes for heads. I also found the plot pretty boring.

The “Sherlock Holmes” one surprised me by actually being interesting, even though I don’t like Sherlock Holmes. It was a case about stolen toys and other worthless junk. The plot of this story was even better than the “Star Trek” one.

I rate this DVD a “6″ as it is watchable with two somewhat good episodes but it’s not really a great DVD. I rented this one free from my local library but I would never buy it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111701955600831/k2311a0117/1.17.10