Elephant Rock State Park  » Travel  »
North of Graniteville, Mo.
  • To this day I love to take my family as well
  • Somthing I think is really great about the park is they have a trail known as Braille Trail going around the park where all the plauqes with information are in Braille

• by Sandi

Yahoo Messenger (required to be logged into Yahoo Messenger)

Elephant Rock State Park is a place I went as I kid with my sister’s and my parents. To this day I love to take my family as well. When driving up to the State Park we can immediatly see why the name Elephant rock. The huge pink rocks, more like bolders, are lined up on the hill like elephants in a circus. This place is just unbelievable. The pinkish colored rocks are from lava being pushed up to the surface.

years and years or weathering have smoothed them out into great shapes. The largest one and one of out favorites is the rock called “Dumbo”. Dumbo wieghs 607 tons and is 35 feet tall. Dumbo is the largest rock at the park, but there are hundreds more of various shapes and sizes. The most fun me and my kids have is trying to climb the bolders.

They are so smooth you just keep sliding off. We get to laughing at each other so hard

we get weak and can’t climb at all. Elephant rock is a great place to hike, picnic, or even bird watch. I have been hikeing on the beautiful trails where I can see all the different animals and plants of the Ozarks. We have seen all kinds of birds.

The kids really like the lizards. We have seen a few different species, the one we really like is called a Blue tailed Skink. The sking looks different than the others and is really brightly colored. My husband is more interested in the history and mineing of the area. All though the trails and around the park are plaques with stories of how the rocks came to be.

We found by reading the plaques that they mined tons of granite out of here years ago. One of the things we see is an old engine house where they repaired trains going back and forth from the quarry. Speaking of the abandoned quarry. This is a huge ...

• whole. It is a site to see in itself.

Somthing I think is really great about the park is they have a trail known as Braille Trail going around the park where all the plauqes with information are in Braille. These special trails are set for handicapped and wheelchair or stroller accessability as well. We have not taken anyone that is handicapped, but it is nice to know we can. We have had to take advantage of the trail for a stroller. My husband and I took turns exploring with my older daughter while the other stayed on the trail with the baby.

Everytime I have been to Elephant Rock it looks different. From seeing pictures from different times you can really see how the formations are always changing. More and more rocks are surfacing all the time. This is just such a great place for site seeing as well as hiking and playing on the huge rocks. There are places in the rocks where

you have to squeeze through.

There are even little ponds throughout the rocks formed by rain water with tadpoles. The kids really enjoy trying to catch the tadpoles. My youngest is now old enough that she gets to enjoy running around and playing on the rocks. When we need a break there are several really nice and clean picnic areas set up to rest up and eat a bite. There are also very nicely kept restrooms.

This is a place that we plan on spending all day at. The kids have so much fun exploring and climbing around on the huge rocks, it is hard to get them to leave. This is a great place to go for children and adults alike. If I hadn’t gone back after the first time, Elephant Rock is a place I would never have forgotten. I cannot wait to take my girls this next spring.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381401954320831/k2311a0114/1.14.10