Salvatore Ferragamo SUBTIL Pour Femme fragrance  » Perfume  »
1.5
  • All in all, I don't think I could tell this fragrance apart from the myriad fruity-musky scents out there - and I certainly wouldn't miss it

• by Pretty Polly

To put it simply: if you love musk, you might like it.

Or maybe not.

According to the maker (independent evaluations of its composition are incredibly difficult to find), this musk-based fragrance perfume “begins with a luminous and vibrant fresh combination of cherry and waterfruits” (don’t ask me what “water fruits” are - but based on the scent alone, I suspect they mean watermelon) and a touch of “orange flower water” (I assume it’s hydrolat), followed by a “subtle

and seductively quiet heart” (i.e. middle notes) of tulips, jasmine, red lily and lily-of-the-valley. The base note is “the consuming passion” that is musk.

Well, musk I can definitely smell. In fact, it is the only note that I can honestly say I perceive at all. Yes, there is an altogether not entirely unpleasant fruity opening note, which on my skin evaporates in a matter of minutes, but musk, perhaps with a hint of sandalwood (although there is no ...

• sandalwood in the composition), is the overall impression that this scent makes. Even though it is usuall marketed as a “floral”, I could not honestly classify it as that.

On me, it has a strangely fluctuating effect: if I am in a good mood, it will enhance it and smell quite nice, if only for a a few minutes; if I am sad, it will weigh me down even further and smell boringly generic and “pedestrian” within a minute

of applying it. (But I have noticed that to be true of many musk-based scents.)

All in all, I don’t think I could tell this fragrance apart from the myriad fruity-musky scents out there - and I certainly wouldn’t miss it.

To me, it smells like a drugstore fragrance - and not a very distinguished one, at that.

Salvatore Ferragamo was one hell of a shoe designer (and shoemaker); and his brand still today employs top-notch designers.

Master perfumers, however, it doesn’t.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 561401952630531/k2311a0114/1.14.10