Nodame Cantabile volume 20
  • The story got really interesting at this point, and the moments between Kuroki and Tanya made me laugh, as they behave in such an awkward way

• by Cal

In the 20th volume of Nodame Cantabile, we get to see the progress of the competition where Yun Long, Tanya and Kiyora take part. Yun Long doesn’t have much luck, and Tanya gets eliminated soon too. That means she’ll have to go back to her country. However, that’s the last thing she wants to do.

This volume ended up being a little more angsty than funny, but it still keeps

up with the comedy tone that has characterized it since the beginning. You can feel how all the characters have their inner struggles, but they fight to go on, making you sympathize with them. The story got really interesting at this point, and the moments between Kuroki and Tanya made me laugh, as they behave in such an awkward way. They gave me a bit of a “high school” ...

• feeling, even if they’re adults now.

In the second part of this volume we go back to the main character’s Chiaki and Nodame, but it focuses more in Nodame. She’s doing her best but still isn’t allowed to take part in competitions, even if it’s her goal in this moment. That will make her really frustrated, so Chiaki tries to help her, but unexpectedly she doesn’t react that well to

that.

Chiaki and Nodame’s relationship this time gives me a love-hate feeling. Nodame’s pictured sometimes as a really simple person, sometimes as a really complicated person, and that seems to be confusing Chiaki a lot. This volume kept me really interested, but I missed more of those relaxing moments that Nodame would bring in the previous volumes. However it didn’t dissapoint me, and I’m already looking forward for the next volume.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171401952490431/k2311a0114/1.14.10