Sony Ericsson R300 Radio Cellphone  » Phones  »
  • In my line of work I’ve found it convenient to have two phones
  • Since my main phone is a Sony Ericsson K810i, I decided to get another Sony Ericsson phone for my second (prepaid) account - so when I travel, I only have to bring one charger with me
  • If a slim and light phone is what you’re after, then this one definitely fits the bill
  • This means that music or spoken stuff that you listen to can be heard and enjoyed with ease
  • I want to like this phone – it’s compact and light and looks classy – but it’s not very easy to recommend it to people given the keypad

• by Chris

In my line of work I’ve found it convenient to have two phones. Since my main phone is a Sony Ericsson K810i, I decided to get another Sony Ericsson phone for my second (prepaid) account - so when I travel, I only have to bring one charger with me. I decided on an R300 Radio because it is relatively cheap, looks decent, and comes with a radio for those moments when I’m tired of what’s in my iPod and want to listen to something else. I’ve found it to be an OK phone, but the keypad needs a bit of work.

I wanted my second phone to take up the same or even less space compared to my primary one. My K810i doesn’t take up much weight or space and so I wanted a second phone that didn’t add to it too much

as then I might be tempted to leave it at home sometimes, which defeats the purpose of buying another phone in the first place. If a slim and light phone is what you’re after, then this one definitely fits the bill. It seems only half as thick as my K810i (although it doesn’t weigh just half as much, but we can’t have everything can we? That said it’s really pretty light and those of you who’re looking for a phone that’s light should look at this one).

It sounds good when you play the radio, too. Flip it over and you’ll see that a third of its underside is taken up by the large speaker. This means that music or spoken stuff that you listen to can be heard and enjoyed with ease. It’s just a pity that you need to insert the ...

• handsfree kit to listen to the radio – apparently the cord also serves as an antenna – the radio function won’t activate if the kit isn’t connected. There’s a pretty basic VGA camera that doesn’t take awfully good pictures and isn’t backed up by a flash, but then again you don’t really expect a phone this cheap to come with something like that. It even looks good – my R300 comes in black with a copper-colored back, and you can also buy it in silver with a black back if you like.

Quibbles? The phone’s only real problem is its keypad. Well, to be honest, it’s something of a major problem given that the bulk of its usage hereabouts is sending SMS. It’s the newest Sony Ericsson phone I’ve bought, so it doesn’t come with that dreaded failure-prone center key (and instead has

a simple reliable button surrounded by a four-way round pad), but the rest of the keys are flat rectangles or oblongs with very little travel and apparently poor responsiveness. In short, I have to struggle along with constant peeks at the screen to make sure that I’m texting what I really want to text – not something I usually need to do with most phones - because the keys on the R300 aren’t very good really.

I want to like this phone – it’s compact and light and looks classy – but it’s not very easy to recommend it to people given the keypad. I guess if you make calls mostly then you might not find the keys too irritating. But someone like me who texts quite a lot – and has large hands, too – can’t help but find this phone a little frustrating.

Julee says :

sony ericsson R300 isn`t good to choose in rate of 3500?

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 371401952390431/k2311a0114/1.14.10