Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fictions and Illusions by Neil Gaiman
  • I like the way the characters were portrayed in such a human-like way that you feel the protagonist could be your next door neighbor or even you
  • It's an easy read and you can definitely plop down anywhere and enjoy his works

• by thegirlfrombrazil

I first heard about Neil Gaiman from a friend who absolutely loved the Sandman series. I was exposed to his work when I watched the movie adaptation of Stardust which I really liked. I finally got my hands on a copy of one of Gaiman’s works entitled Smoke and Mirrors, a collection of short stories and poems.

With Stardust as my introduction to Gaiman’s world, I had an inkling that all his works would be somewhat macabre and out of this world. I was pleasantly surprised—in the out of this world part. Turns out Gaiman has the gift of twisting the simplest and sometimes most

overlooked stories from our childhood and turning it into something fresh and worth a double take.

My favorite shorts in this collection were We Can Get Them for You Wholesale, Murder Mysteries and Snow, Glass, Apples.

We Can Get Them for You Wholesale is like a warning to those who are too obsessed with getting good deals that it could actually lead to one’s untimely death. I like the way the characters were portrayed in such a human-like way that you feel the protagonist could be your next door neighbor or even you! This story is one of the more realistic ones in the collection, making you ...

• believe that this happening is entirely possible.

Murder Mysteries goes back to the time when Lucifer was still an angel and how one seemingly innocent murder led him to change his path. It truly makes you think twice about your destiny and how specific God’s plan may be for you.

A well loved character does a turnaround in Gaiman’s version of Snow White entitled Snow, Glass, Apples. Seems like we are always enamored with the dazzling beauties that we fail to see what is brewing inside them. This fantastic take listens to the side of the stepmother where she revealed that a childhood princess may not be as

pure as we think she is.

I usually breezed through the poems in the collection, but the Vampire Sestina caught my eye. It was in Gaiman’s usual haunting tone, but the construction of the poem, which was called a sestina, absolutely blew me away. I knew Gaiman could write really well, but to be able to extend it to poetry is just really cool.

Smoke and Mirrors showcased Neil Gaiman’s creativity and talent both in writing stories and poems. I loved the worlds he created and re-created, always thinking out of the box. It’s an easy read and you can definitely plop down anywhere and enjoy his works.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 171401951870331/k2311a0114/1.14.10