South Africa Himeville  » Travel  »
  • It is a mere 25 kilometer drive to Himeville and although the roads are not the best with a mixture of dirt and paved roads, driving it was relatively easy
  • I found this very soothing and relaxing unlike the drive down from the mountains which added a lot of gray hairs to my temples

• by bethbarl

This is the ideal place for a stopover on the way to Sodwana Bay from the Sani Pass in Lesotho. Both border posts in Lesotho and the South Africa sides do not have a lot of traffic as it is forbidden to go up the pass without an off road vehicle. Apart from a few Basotho residents, the flow of people is comprised mainly of tourists wanting to see the famous Sani Pass. Like us but we did it the other way around.

It is a mere 25 kilometer drive to Himeville and although the roads are not the best with a mixture of dirt and paved roads, driving it was relatively easy.

The nature scenery was actually very nice and pleasant with a lot of greens,

trees, little lakes and hills. I found this very soothing and relaxing unlike the drive down from the mountains which added a lot of gray hairs to my temples.

Although my husband was driving through the rain it is just a miniscule number of kilometers which did not really matter at all. The city itself is small with just a few inhabitants I suppose. In fact, it felt very laidback yet I was glad to see some signs of civilization, some tar roads and not just mountains.

Himeville has a museum, a fort, nature reserve and all other things you would expect in a small town such as a few banks, pubs, dining places, grocery stores and similar stuff. There are ...

• also enough places to stay such as small hotels, bigger lodges or guesthouses. Most of the hotels and guesthouses/lodges are located right after the South African border post which I suppose catered mostly to visitors wishing to go up to Lesotho or just enjoy the surroundings in the area.

I stayed at the Himeville Arms with the entire family. Quite a charming little place with nice gardens and accommodation of reasonable standards.

The main attraction of this town is that it is the perfect location to see the Drakensberg mountains. There are also plenty of things to do apart from city activities like fishing or nature watching. Although we crossed into Lesotho from Botswana through Kroonstad, a lot of people do it the other way around –

stay in Himeville and go up and down the Sani Pass which could be just a day’s trip. In fact, there are tour operators in Himeville which organize day trips to and from the mountains.

For us, our way afforded us with some of the magnificent views of the mountains in southern Africa and I personally think that descending the Sani Pass to go to Himeville was easier than climbing it and going down again all in one day. After the exhaustion, uncertainty, anxiousness and stress of the descent, I was very happy and relieved to reach and stay in Himeville. An hour’s drive or more of descent driving seemed like embarking on a 6 hour journey. Himeville was certainly a pleasant respite and a welcome change.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381201950540631/k2311a0112/1.12.10