South Africa Sodwana Bay Beach  » Travel  »
2.0
Sodwana Bay, South Africa
  • On that day I decided to go to the sea with my family seemed to be the perfect occasion as it was unbelievably hot and dry with temperatures skyrocketing to 40 degrees C if not more
  • I found this very surprising as this is the first time in my life where I was checked for alcohol while going to the beach
  • At any rate, considering that alcohol abuse is such a big problem in South Africa, I could understand this imposition but if you are on holiday and could not even enjoy a can of beer on the beach then this is an annoyance and certainly a place which is not worth visiting
  • I did not wonder anymore why people trooped to the beach as it was the best way to cool off and beat the summer heat

• by bethbarl

The beach is part of the greater Isimangaliso Wetland Park in Sodwana Bay. I stayed for 2 nights in Sodwana Bay and naturally wanted to see the beach before proceeding to our next destination. On that day I decided to go to the sea with my family seemed to be the perfect occasion as it was unbelievably hot and dry with temperatures skyrocketing to 40 degrees C if not more. The Lodge where I was staying was getting to be oppressing and I longed for the sea.

The beach was about 5 kilomters from where we were booked. My husband had not even driven more than 2 kilometers and there was already a queue of motor vehicles on the narrow road. I could already see people getting out of their cars and walking towards the main entrance of the beach. People frustrated with the waiting and the heat started peeing in the bush or threw out empty water bottles or soda cans out of the windows.

I remarked at how well littered the surroundings were and I could not imagine how people have very little regard for the environment.

We finally reached the entrance gate where people could park their vehicles or drive directly to the beach. There were guys writing out the entrance fee tickets while one is queuing up but this did make the lines go quicker or shorter. I was amazed at the number of people who would want to go to the beach. A fee of R 20 for adults and R 15 for kids was charged which entitled one to stay at the beach the whole day.

Just before the parking area, there were security personnel who were checking the trunks of vehicles for any booze. It was forbidden to bring any alcohol on the beach and even if you respond that you do not have any liquor in your possession they will still do a physical check of the vehicle. I found this very surprising as this is ...

• the first time in my life where I was checked for alcohol while going to the beach. At any rate, considering that alcohol abuse is such a big problem in South Africa, I could understand this imposition but if you are on holiday and could not even enjoy a can of beer on the beach then this is an annoyance and certainly a place which is not worth visiting.

Anyway, my husband managed to find a parking just right after the entrance gate and we decided to walk to the beach instead of bringing the car. The sight that greeted me was something to remember – lots of people and vehicles parked right on the beach with tents, chairs, tables and picnics. I grudgingly admit that coming here the whole day without any sort of protection can become a nightmare if you do not have your paraphernalia with you such as umbrellas, tents or chairs. The only places which offer a shade of protection are the trees

which are right on the sand dunes.

The beach itself was not really clean and I could see litter. Ironically, I saw only one garbage bin and it was filled to the brim with some people even dumping black trash bags beside it. Considering that one pays to go to this beach, the authorities could at least provide a lot of bins which could help in maintaining the cleanliness of the beach.

Otherwise, it was very refreshing to sit for half an hour on the sand and take in the sea breeze. I did not wonder anymore why people trooped to the beach as it was the best way to cool off and beat the summer heat.

On our way out, the guy at the barrier gate asked if we are coming back the next day as the tickets are valid for 24 hours. We all said, No. It was just to see what the beach looked like but we would not dream of spending more than an hour on this beach.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381201950510631/k2311a0112/1.12.10