Ponstan  » Medicine  »
  • I actually wanted Midol but Midol was not available in the nearby clinic so Ponstan was given as alternative and after taking this medicine, I found great relief
  • Well, no matter what that experience gave me a very good lesson not to give medicine without the doctor’s prescription

• by ladyli

I take Ponstan capsules to treat my aching gum and tooth. I used to have inflamed gum and it was giving me terrible pain. I should say this medicine has been really effective in treating unmanageable pain. But I only take this medicine when the pain has bee really out of control because as much as possible I would not want to take synthetic medicine unless I could not find relief from alternative medicine.

This medicine has an active ingredient of mefenamic acid, which is an anti-inflammatory drug so when alternative means could not really heal me I had no choice but to find relief in Ponstan. As far as the effectiveness of Ponstan as painkiller is concerned, I should say that to me it

has been really effective. It has cured me of pain in many instances.

There was a time also when my doctor gave Ponstan to me when I suffered terrible stomach pain brought about by menstruation. I actually wanted Midol but Midol was not available in the nearby clinic so Ponstan was given as alternative and after taking this medicine, I found great relief. Since then I took note of Ponstan and have trusted it whenever I have no choice but to take a painkiller.

However I had to make sure that my stomach is full anytime I had to take this medicine if not it could give me stomach upset. The doctor strictly advised this to me. Of course taking this medicine in an empty stomach could ...

• ruin my colon and it could cause ulcer so I had to make sure I take this medicine properly.

However while Ponstan works well to treat my pain I made a big mistake in assuming that any of my loved ones could also find relief from this medicine too. My husband was then suffering from dreadful toothache. In my desire to help him I gave him Ponstan without even asking the doctor.

In 10 minutes my husband’s face was swelling and had to rush him to the nearest clinic. It was discovered that my husband has allergy with Mefenamic acid and hence the allergic reaction. The doctor warned us not to do self medication.

He told us that if my husband was not brought to the clinic worse

thing might happen to him. It was a good thing that I made the right decision to bring him to the clinic immediately for the necessary treatment. Since then I’ve been very careful about giving Postan to any of my family member.

I’ve researched further about this medicine and found it could not be just given to patients with history of heart attack, stroke or blood clot, high blood pressure, liver, asthma, polyps of the nose and smokers too. None of those conditions described my husband’s so I wondered why he developed allergic reaction to mefenamic acid. Well, no matter what that experience gave me a very good lesson not to give medicine without the doctor’s prescription.

And this applies not just with Ponstan but with all other medicines.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 261101949840231/k2311a0111/1.11.10