K & A Rodent Grass House  » Pets  »
  • I think the grass serves as insulation of a sort and helps keep them warm
  • I like how these houses are all natural, made from plants

• by bookwyrm

My rats just love these grass houses by Kanda Imports! I have been trying several things on them to see what they really love and these little houses are without doubt their favorite. They sit inside it all of the time, often piling in one atop the other. I have four hooded rats, some of them being rather large, and they really do not all fit inside one house at the same time, but they certainly do try! The ones that are left outside sit right next to it then, waiting for one of the others to leave so

they can get in.

The house I buy for my rats has a triangular shape with a little open doorway and a window or two. It’s made of woven grass, straw and a few thicker pieces (dried plants or thick grass/straw stems I guess). I lay the house on its side inside their cage and they pile in through what is supposed to be the house’s open bottom. So the wall becomes a side and they just love sitting on it. I think the grass serves as insulation of a sort and helps keep them warm. Or maybe they just ...

• feel safe inside the house. The dried grass also has a scent and maybe they like that.

I like how these houses are all natural, made from plants. My rats love chewing on it so it serves as a chew toy, too. That is good as they need to wear down their teeth and I have had a very hard time finding something they will actually chew on. Most “chew toys” they ignore.

Since they chew on them, the houses don’t last very long: maybe one to two months. They tend to get wet and smelly. That is the downside

to buying them. They need to be replaced often.

I did salvage the “top” of the first grass house they had, cutting the chewed up sides off of it. I ended up with what looked like a triangular grass tray, rather flat with very short sides. This fits perfectly inside their Igloo and one of my rats has claimed it as her nest. She loves sitting inside the little grass tray and even stores some of her food in there. So even once the houses are chewed up pieces of them can still be used and I like that, too.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in January, 2010. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 291101949200131/k2311a0111/1.11.10